Malt Guidance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been brewing for a good few years now and really enjoy creating my own recipes. I have, however, got stuck in a bit of a rut regarding my choice of malts. I use Maris Otter and wheat all the time with the odd bit of Vienna or Crystal here and there. Has anybody come across a thread, a link, a vid or even a book that describes the different malts and how they work in different styles in a bit more detail?

I strongly recommend Randy Mosher's book "Mastering Homebrew". That has some good information on malts in it. Also, the Beersmith and Brulosophy podcasts in particular are a mine of useful information. BrewYourOwn online magazine is also a good reference.

I do enjoy those podcasts you mentioned. And I'll keep a look out for that book. I'm really after a list of malts with some tasting notes and examples or suggestions for brews I guess. Carapils for example, when and why would I use it and in what quantity? I've just Googled this so I know the general answer, but you get the idea.

Yes, I think you will get a lot out of Randy's book. There is an entire chapter dedicated to malts; split out into base, coloured, roasted, crystal and others. There is a ton of description on flavours, aromas and why you might use them. There is detail on structuring your recipe from the ground up. Plus there are suggestions for beers and recipes.

Carapils for example, when and why would I use it and in what quantity? I've just Googled this so I know the general answer, but you get the idea.
To echo @Mayor of Simpleton, Mastering Homebrew covers this pretty well. The only issue is that there are so many names for the same products from different maltsters.

I've been brewing for a good few years now and really enjoy creating my own recipes. I have, however, got stuck in a bit of a rut regarding my choice of malts. I use Maris Otter and wheat all the time with the odd bit of Vienna or Crystal here and there. Has anybody come across a thread, a link, a vid or even a book that describes the different malts and how they work in different styles in a bit more detail?
What do you brew, @Harbey? If you like MO then I guess it's ales of some kind. Get hold of some Chevallier and brew a batch just with that; you'll find it massively different from MO- maltier and richer. I also like Plumage Archer, but the difference isn't so great. Instead of Vienna and Crystal, try chucking in a good dollop of Melanoidin malt or Bestmalz light Melanoidin up to 20% if you're timid, more if you're brave. I think this might boraden your horizons a bit. Clean yeasts make a difference, too.
Mosher's a great read, I love him, but he's as mad as a box of frogs.

Thanks for all the pointers. Yes, I tend to brew a pale one batch and then a wheat, a saison or just done a sour the next. Not a huge fan of many darker beers as a rule but that might be why I've spent more time playing with hops than malts. I'm looking for a copy of the Randy Mosher book now.

Thanks for all the pointers. Yes, I tend to brew a pale one batch and then a wheat, a saison or just done a sour the next. Not a huge fan of many darker beers as a rule but that might be why I've spent more time playing with hops than malts. I'm looking for a copy of the Randy Mosher book now.
It's available in pdf format on pdfdrive.com

I have Mosher's book on Kindle, decent read, and being Kindle it's open and displaying as and when I need. athumb..

I have the water one from that series. While it has a lot of information it is incredibly scientific. It's a hard read.

Good to know. I tend to have these things as reference material rather than trying to just read straight through but had through the size (compared to How to Brew, for example) might make it a good one to read on the train.

Latest posts

Back