Malt Miller - Reconditioned Keg Cleaning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joetp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I've recently bought a Malt Miller Grade 1 Reconditioned Corny Keg. It says they've cleaned the kegs on their side but does recommend that the customer also clean and sanitise before using.

Do you think I need to do a full disassembly? Or will an oxyclean sit, rinse and sanitise do the trick?

Thanks! Joe

I would always do a full disassembly clean then you 100% know it is to your standard which is why MM says to clean but it should be easy if it has already been cleaned.
From thereon just do your usual clean systemathumb..

Thanks a lot for confirming! I'll attempt a deep clean.

I'm going to have to get the pliers/grips out and hope I can get it all apart without damaging as I don't have a socket or spanner that fits... I quickly checked Asda in case they sold anything, but they don't by the looks. Wish me luck!

If you have not got the correct spanner do not risk damaging the posts clean it with them in situ I am sure that MM will have replaced O rings etc as they are re-furbed it is not ultra critical

Okay, thanks! I will oxyclean, rinse a few times thoroughly, dispense a bit of clean water through the dip tube, and then sanitise the keg and do the same! Fingers crossed that'll do it!

When you receive a used keg, I would advise on the following, the best type of cleaner is sodium percarbonate based so unperfumed Oxi, neat SP, PBW, ChemClean etc.
You need water above 50c, place your chosen cleaner into the keg, add in 5 litres or so of the hot water, attach the lid and shake. Take care, hot water may spill out till enough O2 is produced to seal the keg. Periodically shake the keg over the next 10 minutes. Attach your dispense tap and push the cleaner out till the keg is empty. Open the lid, add a few litres of fresh water, seal the keg, shake then dispose of water, repeat once more but this time push the clean water out with CO2 through your dispense tap. Now add 1 litre of your chosen no rinses sanitiser, seal the lid, shake and push it out with CO2 through your dispense tap. You now have a clean, sanitised keg and tap with the bonus that it is CO2 flushed.

A couple of points. The kegs are designed to be cleaned in place, it is very rare that a keg needs a strip down, as in taking the posts off. If you do take the posts off unless you have the correct tools don't try to remove the poppets or you can cause yourself a whole host of pain. If you do take the posts off make sure they go back on the same keg on the correct in/out side.
Don't try to take the posts off unless you have the correct, 22mm deep socket.

One last thing, never, ever let anything dry on the inside of the keg. If you haven't got time to clean it, simply fill it with water.

Different brewers will have different routines but the above has served me very well.

The clean went well - I had to do two rounds of it though! This corny keg was for Coca-Cola and even after one round of oxiclean and rinsing, I could still smell the coke. I ended up filling it to the top with a few scoops and left for 30-mins - that did the trick and then I rinsed well and sanitised. It's now holding beer and sat cooling! Thanks again!

Back