Malt Miller?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity I've looked at my recent order from MM - the malt bill for what I needed totalled £5.22

Used geterbrewed's recipe creator to price up a similar malt bill (crisp pale subbed for golden promise) and it works out at £3.67!

I only used MM as they had equanot cryo hops and golden promise, but still... Not good value compared to one of their competitors.
However other malt bills and some equipment can be cheaper at MM. I really like the kit editor on GEB though.
Plus MM has some malts that GEB doesn't have.

I just did my first GEB Order. Not as prompt a DPD from MM but still prompt and happy with the service.

I find with geterbrewed it's worth giving them an extra day to deliver due to their location.

Out of curiosity I've looked at my recent order from MM - the malt bill for what I needed totalled �£5.22

Used geterbrewed's recipe creator to price up a similar malt bill (crisp pale subbed for golden promise) and it works out at �£3.67!

I only used MM as they had equanot cryo hops and golden promise, but still... Not good value compared to one of their competitors.

Golden promise is organically grown and is more expensive than Crisp's no matter where you buy it from.

You can get ekuanot cryo hops from GEB.. they sent me some as courtisy of screwing up an order of mine.. they are very nice..

They appear to have hop powder... Is there a difference? The ones I got from MM were pelletized to a certain degree. I assumed GEB's were like what the Americans call hop hash

They appear to have hop powder... Is there a difference? The ones I got from MM were pelletized to a certain degree. I assumed GEB's were like what the Americans call hop hash

You want the pellet version of the cryo hops as they are so prone to oxidation, in fact due to this fact you may find they are unavailable to home brewers in the next few months as the original supplier is not happy at them being repacked causing oxidation (presumably because they are not being nitrogen flushed). What I have heard is that they are no longer selling them to home brew suppliers so it is only available stock that you can get hold of. Hopefully the original supplier will consider doing small packages themselves but there may be a larger cost involved.

Out of curiosity I've looked at my recent order from MM - the malt bill for what I needed totalled �£5.22

Used geterbrewed's recipe creator to price up a similar malt bill (crisp pale subbed for golden promise) and it works out at �£3.67!

Planning a Rochefort 10 clone for next weekend and so ordering today so I can get the yeast stepped up
6kg weyerman Bohemian Pilsner
1kg weyerman Caramunich
1kg torrified wheat
1 liquid Belgian abbey II yeast
No hops I've got what I need in the freezer, and I'm making my own candy sugar because it's so expensive

MM £31.30 delivered
GEB £22.46 delivered :-o that's near 30% cheaper!

You want the pellet version of the cryo hops as they are so prone to oxidation, in fact due to this fact you may find they are unavailable to home brewers in the next few months as the original supplier is not happy at them being repacked causing oxidation (presumably because they are not being nitrogen flushed). What I have heard is that they are no longer selling them to home brew suppliers so it is only available stock that you can get hold of. Hopefully the original supplier will consider doing small packages themselves but there may be a larger cost involved.

That's very disappointing to hear. Actually MM did say on their website to use their cryo hops in one go once opening the packet.

Someone I know who is head Brewer at a microbrewery said the cost of cryo hops at a commercial level is astronomical.

Weird because I'm sure MM wasn't always so much more expensive was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird because I'm sure MM wasn't always so much more expensive was it?

Looking at the GEB site a lot is on special offer 10-20% off that makes me wonder how old some of their ingredients are.

Looking at the GEB site a lot is on special offer 10-20% off that makes me wonder how old some of their ingredients are.

It's called a January sale. Their malts are very fresh. Their warehouses are huge and supply a large amount of malt etc. I have had my best effieciencies from them

It's called a January sale. Their malts are very fresh. Their warehouses are huge and supply a large amount of malt etc. I have had my best effieciencies from them

Agreed, averaging 90% brewhouse on the gf using their malts. Everything is milled to order in the byo recipe kits too.

I just found out that the price reduction on GEB doesn't apply to the custom kits. Adding 3kg in the builder of a malt that's discounted in the malts section comes up with a higher price

EDIT: reply from GEB

"Custom recipe kit is exempt from the sale, its so labour intensive we make very little on it at all so can’t work at a loss"

Have you guys lost your old account at MM?
I also messaged Rob about the recipe builder to see if its coming back but no reply yet.
Anyone heard anything?

I just found out that the price reduction on GEB doesn't apply to the custom kits. Adding 3kg in the builder of a malt that's discounted in the malts section comes up with a higher price

EDIT: reply from GEB

"Custom recipe kit is exempt from the sale, its so labour intensive we make very little on it at all so can’t work at a loss"

Seems reasonable

Have you guys lost your old account at MM?

I also messaged Rob about the recipe builder to see if its coming back but no reply yet.

Anyone heard anything?

Yes my account has gone, I think this is mentioned on the site somewhere so wasn't a surprise. I thought the legacy recipes were going to be there though and they aren't yet.

Back