Malt Millers Idaho 7 NEIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thebiggestal

Reaction score
Hello,

First off, thank you for any help I get, I am absolutely clueless at times.

I have been given this kit but no instructions. My only experience is Dark Rock kits with their hold your hand guidance!

How much water do I need for the mash and for sparge? I use a cool box for mashing and Pico boiler for my boiling.

I have tried emailing MM (twice) but had no reply. I don't want this to sound like criticism of them as they have been very helpful in the past.

The website has the info below;

Ingredients Included
Crisp Lager Malt (3800 grams)
Flaked Wheat (200 grams)
Rolled Oats (1000 grams)
Oat Husks (200 grams)
Idaho 7 Pellets (200 grams)
LALLEMAND New England 11g Beer Yeast (1 packs)

Method
Beer Style (main): American Ales
Beer Style (sub): Juicy or Hazy Pale Ale
Batch Size: 23
Original Gravity: 1047
Final Gravity: 1007
ABV %: 5.3%
IBU: 0.0

THE MASH
Temperature °C: 65
Length (mins): 60
Out temp °C: 75
Out time (mins): 10

THE BOIL
Boil time (mins): 60 minutes

Additions and timing:

0 mins/Whirlpool – 40g Idaho 7

Secondary additions and timing:

2 days after pitching yeast – 60g Idaho 7

End of fermentation – 100g Idaho 7

Yeast: Lallemand New England
Fermentation temperature/steps: 10 days at 18c

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/blo...d-a-beer-recipe-and-calculate-liquor-volumes/
This should give you a decent head start - I followed this and it seemed fine. I used their sparge water calculator (linked in the blog post) to figure everything out.

Hope that's a little bit helpful.

Having said that, I think with an NEIPA you need to be extra careful about preventing oxidisation. If you're not set up for that, the beer might only be ok for a couple of weeks after brewing. Hopefully someone here with more experience than me will be able to help.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/blo...d-a-beer-recipe-and-calculate-liquor-volumes/
This should give you a decent head start - I followed this and it seemed fine. I used their sparge water calculator (linked in the blog post) to figure everything out.

Hope that's a little bit helpful.

Having said that, I think with an NEIPA you need to be extra careful about preventing oxidisation. If you're not set up for that, the beer might only be ok for a couple of weeks after brewing. Hopefully someone here with more experience than me will be able to help.

Thank you so much.

When I used to brew with my peco, I would use 25-27 l of mash water depending on how much grain I had.
Then batch sparge and top up so that my pre boil volume was 27l.

this would usually give me about 22l into the fermentor.

My kit is similar to yours - peco boiler and coolbox mash tun.
I use the old Brewer's Friend Windows app to calculate all my recipes and they always work out about right.

I do a mash with 15 - 16L of treated water, lauter that Into my old Wilco stockpot, then batch sparge with remaining 14-15L of treated water. So 30.5-31.5 litres depending on the grain bill.
Your temperature for the mash and sparge waters will vary depending on temperature of grain and thermal properties of your coolbox. I always find I need to add 3degC to the temperatures suggested.

Here you go, this is what Brewer's Friend gives for suggested brewday volumes and temperatures using your ingredients. Just remember to add a couple of degrees to the mash and sparge temperatures. Don't use all the mash liquor at first (say, start with 12L) then add your grains, you can always add the extra volume to bring mash up to the right temperature in your coolbox or use cold water to adjust down.

Code:
MM Idaho 7 NEIPA
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L):                   23.0
Original Gravity (OG):            1.047  (°P): 11.7
Total Water Required (L):         31.30

Mash
----------------
Total Grain (kg):                 5.200
Grain Temp (°C):                  5.0