Malt sprays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suffolk Supper

Landlord.
Reaction score
Good evening all 🍺😊
I have a muntons smugglers special ready to prime (23 litres) how many grams of spray malt should I add to to my PB to prime ?🤔
The kit says 80 grams but but other sources says 160 is ideal. But no more than 200. Help please

80g of white sugar is what I ordinarily add to my PB's. So I'd go for the same weight of spray malt.
Spray malt won't give the same level of carbonation as white sugar and in any case the amount to use depends on the amount of carbonation desired, which is different for different styles of beer. This is why calculators exist.

Spray malt won't give the same level of carbonation as white sugar and in any case the amount to use depends on the amount of carbonation desired, which is different for different styles of beer. This is why calculators exist.
In that, I have learned something today, so thank you. If you'd added some figures it may also have been helpful.

Using the calculator shows that 80g of sugar is the equivalent of 120g DME, or 1.75 vols co2.

A PB will hold that level of carbonation only at lower temperatures. At 6degC 1.75vols is about 6psi. If the temperature is raised to 15degC the PB valve will likely vent off as the pressure would double, rising above the 10bar safety limit for a PB. The advantage to using more sugar than the PB can take is to push out excess oxygen when venting, something the OP may wish to consider.

So there are diminishing returns in using more sugar/DME to carbonate a PB. 160g of DME is definitely excessive.

Also, at lower temperatures the yeast will take longer to prime the barrel but the beer will absorb more co2.

Head space in the PB can also be a factor. Too little head space while priming and the co2 will be vented faster than it can be absorbed (is my understanding).

Edit: Worth noting is the priming calculator on brewers friend makes an assumption that DME will attenuation will be at 68%. This may vary depending on yeast and it's viability. Sugar is more likely to ferment out at 100%. So the calculator may be inaccurate for DME depending on yeast strain.

Thank you Richard 👍🍺🍺

Back