Malt Suggestions ( from maltmiller)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know why there is such a variation in base malt prices between maltsters and vendors?

Eg, Minch malt from THC is £25 for a 25kg sack, but weyermans on brewuk is £50kg for a 25kg sack. Both pilsner malt.

I can understand market forces making a slight difference in price, but one being twice the price of the other is... Confusing. I haven't noticed people saying that one is much better than the other. 🤷‍♂️

I'm putting in an order this week, so will normally just go with the cheaper one

There's a few reasons I can think of.

Minch to THBC is about 30-40 minutes in a truck. Weyermann to BrewUK will be a long journey through customs.

Weyermann are seen as a more-premium brand and it attracts a higher price in part of that.

Malt prices will be going up soon for a few factors. It may be that the Weyermann already reflects this, but the Minch doesn't.

I would go minch over most malts it is a very good malt, and at 25 quid a bargain
And when it comes to continental malts, I much prefer Bestmalz to Weyermann and, in spite of the recent price hike at THBC, I think they're still cheaper than Weyermann. Then they do Castle maltings, Château malts which are great for Belgian and French styles. In short, I think Shane and the lads at THBC have stolen a march on GEB.
Edit;
A kilo of Château pilsner from THBC is getting close to half the price of the French outlet for Castle Maltings which is Autobrasseur. So it's not all about transport costs.

Latest posts

Back