Maltodextrin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nige

Regular.
Reaction score
I have noticed the difference adding this, I've only added 250g so far but think 450g to 500g would be even better to a 40 pint brew of bitter or strong barleywine types. Does everyone else have any thoughts on this.

Last edited:
No id like to know i read it adds to body and head retention but adds to your fg which put me off because most brews alc is high enough without adding to it

I haven't noticed that, only adding body and mouth feel, it's basically a non fermenable and does not add flavour or sweetness. As for head retention I'm not sure how much effect it does have as that improves over time.

No id like to know i read it adds to body and head retention but adds to your fg which put me off because most brews alc is high enough without adding to it
I've never used it but it's a non-fermentable sugar, like lactose, so it'll increase both OG and FG by the same amount without affecting %abv.

Sorry I've had to edit my original post because the packs I used where only 250g but even that amount gives a noticeable change for the better. The effects are instant so you can adjust in bottling bucket anyway. I will use this in any brews I want a fuller mouthfeel in future.

For a noob like me i thought this would make your pint thicker not watery and a creamy head not like loads of bubbles that disappear am i in the wrong area with additives

No, that's pretty much what it does. Head retention takes time either way though. You still must condition your beers.

Last edited:
Yes, it will definitely add "body" or "mouthfeel", and make the beer feel less "watery", without increasing the alcohol content as it is not fermented. I'm not sure that there will be much effect upon head retention, though.
As an aside, the only time I use it these days is in commercial beer. I'm now trying out a few of the 0.5% alcohol beers, as I have to limit my alcohol intake for medical reasons. A lot of these brews are basically not bad, but taste very "thin" to me & I find that a heaped teaspoon of maltodextrin improves them no end (e.g. Shipyard Low Tide IPA)

http://scottjanish.com/dextrins-and-mouthfeel/

After reading about dextrins in that I'd be more inclined to give some glycerine a go. People use it all the time for adding body to wine. The amount that comes with Winebuddy kits in their flavour packs I find completely sickly.

It's gone on the experiment list.

Anyone know if maltodextrin will interact with proteins to create more head retention? It's the proteins that are the real factor in lovely lacing.

All I can say is that it works great for me and head retention takes a bit of conditioning anyway, although I may try steeping some carapils also with next batch I do.

Maltodextrine works for me as well. I usually now make ten litre brews and usually add 150 grams to the brew, adding more will be interesting, dunno about 500 grams though.

It depends what your making, I did a strong belgian type that I thought could have stood 450g to 500g more like a barley wine really. You wouldn't want much in a lager if any but a stout would benefit, like I said you can adjust gradually at bottling time I suppose.

I've added maltodextrin to kveik beers (Voss farmhouse strain),which I've noticed can finish a bit thin. I've also used it in mixed fermentation brews to provide food for Brett

I suppose it's more useful for the kit brewing as apposed to all grain but it is useful.

Well when you add it too your own you may see for yourself because you could use too much, I can only refer to my own use.

So according to this, we must add 1200g per 23ltr to be detectable by viscosity,!!
Well all I can say is put that much in yours but I would recommend against that much.

The article isn't telling us that. It (as for many like it) is telling us not to waste our time chasing an avenue for which it has been proven (time and again) to lead to nowhere (sans empty calories and empty higher finishing gravity).

But I use it and it works, why not try using some and see for yourself, that's what I did then you may form your own opinion of conflicting theories.

I've not used it, but I don't think it would increase the alcohol content as it's unfermentable. The higher FG should stay fixed.

Latest posts

Back