Man Caves

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine built a brick tower adjoining his house, which had a circular staircase inside too narrow for his somewhat portly wife to squeeze through. At the top was what he called his ‘Sulking Room’, where he could ponder the day whilst smoking his pipe, drinking beer, and playing his George Formby records!

Has anybody got a similar retreat?

I've got a mancave, the back of the garage was converted by the previous owner into an office and utility room. He did a shitty job of it though, and it's a damp, airless pit that you wouldn't want to spend any time in unless absolutely necessary. It's great as a storage room for all my brewing kit and fermentation fridge though - every cloud, and all that!

My mancave is my second largest bedroom of four, it has my PC, playstation, 3 guitars, TV, and beer fridge. No pipe smoking or listening to George Formby but ironically we are looking for a new window cleaner :laugh8:

No... haven't got a man cave...got a little shed full of brew stuff and ale and my garage has loads of brew stuff,fishing gear etc...in the house ..other stuff ...metal detectors..I basically do what I like. Mrs Clint is very understanding...

Man cave / office for me and currently serving as the child's school room too - hence all the bloody mess

Attachments

• IMG_20200718_220427.jpg
    IMG_20200718_220427.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20200718_220724.jpg
    IMG_20200718_220724.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 157
What always springs to mind is the Indiana Jones Film where he's looking for that cup....
"Choose wisely..."
That means your "other half"...(see what I did there?).
.....no good taking on a dragon unless it's to protect the place...

That's me out, I don't have any George Formby records, or a pipe, I do have a couple of spots where I can enjoy a few beers which won't be in her tally of how many beers I've had.
I do have to be quiet mind.🙂

My man cave is an 18 x 22 ft garage. Well that's how it started, it now encompasses a lot of the rear garden in 4 of those huge Ketter storage boxes. My obsession of VW t4 velles was the cause. I have 3 one undergoing complete restoration in the garage. I'm in heaven when I'm in there working.

My space- have a 3d/ hd projector/ screen in there, dart board and oche, table footie, two chest freezers and a fridge. One of the freezers is hoping to become a keezer before the week is out. Also have a really naff reclining chair with cup holders, in built massager/ back heater. Invaluable for the afternoon nap I seem to have needed since lockdown. Also a sofa bed - sleep in there when really in the *****.

20200719_104704.jpg

DSCN2262.JPG

This is my Dad’s man cave, or Wine Cellar as he called it, taken in about 1975. He is pulling up a pint of his malt extract beer from a type of pressure barrel that was around at the time and used a sparklet bulb if I remember. He started brewing way back in the bootleg days, having been slipped a clandestine recipe explaining how to make beer at the 1955 Earl’s Court Motor Show.

His speciality was making so-called ‘Sherry’ from concentrated grape juice, and he always had around 15 demijohns bubbling away in an insulated and heated old wardrobe. Let’s just say it wasn’t to my wife or my taste, but what did we know - we used to drink budget priced ‘British Pale’ and ‘British Brown’ sherry at the time!

View attachment 29547

This is my Dad’s man cave, or Wine Cellar as he called it, taken in about 1975. He is pulling up a pint of his malt extract beer from a type of pressure barrel that was around at the time and used a sparklet bulb if I remember. He started brewing way back in the bootleg days, having been slipped a clandestine recipe explaining how to make beer at the 1955 Earl’s Court Motor Show.

His speciality was making so-called ‘Sherry’ from concentrated grape juice, and he always had around 15 demijohns bubbling away in an insulated and heated old wardrobe. Let’s just say it wasn’t to my wife or my taste, but what did we know - we used to drink budget priced ‘British Pale’ and ‘British Brown’ sherry at the time!

Look at the smile on his face! That’s me every time I pour a beer, we’d have got on well I think! ;)

View attachment 29547

What a wonderful photo. The assortment of containers, the tub of Edme DME on the shelf, that SHIRT! Every man should have a cave or corner to call his own and this epitomises that satisfaction of being master of one's own domain. Love it.

My wife can't see me whilst sat in my chair, in the living room, behind my computer, because the wall where my chair is is further back than the wall behind my pc.... This is the closest that I have to a man cave, with my PC monitor swung out in front of me, and my headset on my head.... Sometimes I even have sound playing through my headset. :laugh8:

Back