Man drove without licence for more than 70 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ashock1

A man stopped by police told officers he had been driving with no licence or insurance for more than 70 years.

While on patrol, police pulled over the man near Tesco Extra, in Bulwell, Nottingham, on Wednesday.

Officers said the driver - born in 1938 - told them he had been driving with no licence or insurance since he was 12 and had never been stopped by police.

On Facebook, the Bulwell, Rise Park and Highbury Vale Police team said thankfully he had never had a crash.

The team added: "Thankfully he had never had an accident, caused anyone an injury, and never made anyone lose out financially, by hitting them whilst uninsured!"

The officers urged members of the public to ensure their documents were in order as, due to the increased number of ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras in Nottingham, licence and insurance issues were more likely to be detected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-60159649

Last edited:
If he was a young boy racer everybody would be up in arms but because of his age some people may be sympathetic.
How's he manage to tax his car especially in the last few years since the system has changed or has he been running with no tax too?

The team added:
"Thankfully he had never had an accident, caused anyone an injury, and never made anyone lose out financially, by hitting them whilst uninsured!"
That line is just fearmongering.
Anyway, people do have to abide by the rules though or you get anarchy so in that spirit, give him a small fine.
Personally, I would just ask him to go get a license and start carrying insurance, not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
some people may be sympathetic.
I kind of fall in that category. He's already old, it's an isolated case. If it were a young person that had done it for five years, for example? I still think just give him a fine that is uncomfortable to pay or some community service. It would be nice to know the mindset and why it was done in each case.

One of those situations where they need to make a bit of an example of him in order to prevent anyone else getting any wise ideas.
Right around April 15th, paying our taxes deadline, a famous or famous-ish person gets busted by the Internal Revenue Service here to do exactly what you said.
If most of the US decided not to pay taxes, our government couldn't do anything about it.

The team added:
"Thankfully he had never had an accident, caused anyone an injury, and never made anyone lose out financially, by hitting them whilst uninsured!"

That line is just fearmongering.
Anyway, people do have to abide by the rules though or you get anarchy so in that spirit, give him a small fine.
Personally, I would just ask him to go get a license and start carrying insurance, not a big deal.

I am not sure what you mean by its just fearmongering the police team said it and it was a blessing he never hit anyone,

I am not sure what you mean the police team said it and it was a blessing he never hit anyone,
I'm just saying, statistically, the chance of a big accident is very small and it was way more likely he wouldn't be in a crash and luck wasn't involved.
I get it though, insurance is a necessary evil and all that.

If he was a major computer hacker for as many years he would now have landed a top job at Microsoft or some country's military.
Perhaps he should start a driving school.

The "fairness factor" is real--people seeing others skip out on their responsibilities, obligations and so forth with no penalty and resenting them for it.
I have the same feeling.
It does depend on the motivations of such a person for breaking rules. Sometimes it's clear and sometimes not.

In the 50 years he has been driving he must have been aware he needed
A driving Licence
Insurance
Vehicle Excise Duty
MOT
It sounds as if it was a total disregard of the law not once but 50 times
Sorry again but throw the book at him and back date any VED if he has not paid with interest and also put so many points om his licence he never drives again if he decides to apply for one
SORRY RANT over

According to the report he is 83 and it is DVLA rules/law say when you reach 70 you have to apply for your licence to be extended every 3 years to make sure you are still fit to do so yet another rule broken

I am on the other foot here, surly the DVLA needs to be investigated as looks like all these systems don't work or the staff are not doing their job, to drive for 70 years without being pulled for speeding or anything what a guy give him a medal he must have nerves of steel :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :beer1::coat::tinhat:

$6,280$3,096$1,548
The average cost of car insurance for a year in Detroit is the first one, Michigan average cost per year is the second and the national average is the last. I think that's because we have No Fault and most other states don't.
Detroit gets punished because drivers here get insurance for a month to get the car registered and licensed and then don't have it for the remainder of the year.

$6,280$3,096$1,548
The average cost of car insurance for a year in Detroit is the first one, Michigan average cost per year is the second and the national average is the last. I think that's because we have No Fault and most other states don't.
Detroit gets punished because drivers here get insurance for a month to get the car registered and licensed and then don't have it for the remainder of the year.
So...they drive round with no insurance?

I watch a few of the cop shows and most of thr drivers caught for no insurance cancel their direct debit after the first month I assume its so they can tax the car.

Latest posts

Back