Man drove without licence for more than 70 years

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on the other foot here, surly the DVLA needs to be investigated as looks like all these systems don't work or the staff are not doing their job, to drive for 70 years without being pulled for speeding or anything what a guy give him a medal he must have nerves of steel :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :beer1::coat::tinhat:

How can this possibly the fault of DVLA? As someone else pointed out, unless he's lived in a cave for the last 70 years, he knows.

If you do some cash in hand work and don't declare it but never get caught, is HMRC at fault or are you at fault?

According to the report he is 83 and it is DVLA rules/law say when you reach 70 you have to apply for your licence to be extended every 3 years to make sure you are still fit to do so yet another rule broken
That’s not correct. Driving without a licence is an absolute offence, it doesn’t matter how old you are or whether you’ve had a licence in the past. If he had a licence prior to being 70, and failed to renew it then that’s the same as never having had on.[/QUOTE]

According to the report he is 83 and it is DVLA rules/law say when you reach 70 you have to apply for your licence to be extended every 3 years to make sure you are still fit to do so yet another rule broken
That’s not correct. Driving without a licence is an absolute offence. It’s the same thing whether you’ve had a licence which you failed to renew or you never had one in the first place.

It's like having a safety net, it induces drivers to take greater risks since the consequences aren't at their expense.
Not necessarily, depends on the person's mindset. I can't stand the thought of having all the 'paperwork' and hassle associated with an insurance claim as well as ringing round for repair quotes or even shopping for a replacement car.

It was bad enough trying to find a car when the old one went "uneconomic to repair"

Not necessarily, depends on the person's mindset. I can't stand the thought of having all the 'paperwork' and hassle associated with an insurance claim as well as ringing round for repair quotes or even shopping for a replacement car.

It was bad enough trying to find a car when the old one went "uneconomic to repair"
Those are the parts not covered by insurance, borne by the driver. In fact, we accept partial insurance as a deterrent when evaluating whether to make a claim or when we insure but claim only above a certain value.

Last edited:
So...they drive round with no insurance?
There are a lot of drivers that do. We've a lot of low-income people and they can't afford it.
Some decades ago, my wife and I were in the same boat. We had to have a car because we had to get to work. At the end of the month there wasn't money left over to pay car insurance. Food, shelter, gas and electricity came first.
The reason insurance here is unviable is complicated but I'm sure it will have "systemic racism," "criminality" and "greed" as part of the equation.
Even today we pay almost $300/mo for a car that's worth about $3K. We have perfect driving records.
I'm pointing out also that we pay more for insurance in a year than the value of our car.

$6,280$3,096$1,548
The average cost of car insurance for a year in Detroit is the first one, Michigan average cost per year is the second and the national average is the last. I think that's because we have No Fault and most other states don't.
Detroit gets punished because drivers here get insurance for a month to get the car registered and licensed and then don't have it for the remainder of the year.
Is the insurance system in America in general just ****** then? I thought it was just health insurance.

Over here the only people paying anywhere near £1k a year for insurance (based on a “normal” small/family car) are drivers aged under 21.

My insurance has been in the £200-£300 a year range for about the last 15 years (I’m 37), and I’ve had 3 claims in that time (all fairly minor - one was the other party’s fault so didn’t affect my no claims but still affected my premium because it happened in work car park; one was a he said she said with the bus company when the bus ripped my bumper off at traffic lights; one where my wife scraped the bumper off a wall in a car park)

Can you direct us to any peer reviewed research that shows this?
Don't know about cars but it's a proven fact that in the US states that repealed the compulsory helmet law saw motorcyclist deaths fall as a result. (riding a motorcycle without a helmet is really scary!)
Cyclists who wear helmets also tend to have more accidents as they give you a feeling of safety.

Is the insurance system in America in general just ****** then? I thought it was just health insurance.
My car insurance situation is the worst of the worst you'll find in the US (lucky me). Across the street, literally, in the city to the north, insurance rates are normal. It's called "red-lining" here.
Our medical is free to us as the company provides it.
The liberals in the government want to go to a system like Canada's. The insurance lobbyists have the the conservatives in their pockets and block this move at every turn. The whole thing is just so illogical, greedy, contemptible and wrong it's tiring to discuss especially when the solution is visible and viable.
I do have a fairly large resentment about the car insurance as our driving records have no infractions and I'm being gouged solely based on where my street address is. I could cheat, by the way, and list an address elsewhere. Sometimes I don't know why I don't.

Don't know about cars but it's a proven fact that in the US states that repealed the compulsory helmet law saw motorcyclist deaths fall as a result. (riding a motorcycle without a helmet is really scary!)
I'd like to see that reference, if you could.
From personally delving into US statistics on motorcycles, it's hard to get useable data on them and get a proper correlation. A lot of information that is spread, for example, is based on statistics out of California (heavy motorcycle population). Riding in California is nothing like riding in Michigan.
If it turns out to be true, that is a pleasant surprise. It would appear on the surface that non-helmet wearers are being more careful (no helmet leads to a fall in deaths). My first thought is, if a concern is being more careful, they'd be wearing a helmet.
thanks

Cyclists who wear helmets also tend to have more accidents as they give you a feeling of safety.
That's got nothing to do with car insurance though

1643378209449.png

Over here the only people paying anywhere near £1k a year for insurance (based on a “normal” small/family car) are drivers aged under 21.

My insurance has been in the £200-£300 a year range for about the last 15 years (I’m 37), and I’ve had 3 claims in that time (all fairly minor - one was the other party’s fault so didn’t affect my no claims but still affected my premium because it happened in work car park; one was a he said she said with the bus company when the bus ripped my bumper off at traffic lights; one where my wife scraped the bumper off a wall in a car park)
Don’t know about the US, but in Canada the different provinces have a far greater level of autonomy from central government than the governments of Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland do from Westminster. Consequently
❄I'm totally shocked by this the police doing their jobs for once , is this the tip of the iceberg or a one off !
stroke of luck really, there’s so few of them left.

It's like having a safety net, it induces drivers to take greater risks since the consequences aren't at their expense.

I remember when they tried this i guess it worked but they bottled it and painted the lines anyway.

The government is starting to remove white lines from the middle of roads in parts of the UK. It is doing so to reduce accidents and save lives. The idea is apparently revolutionary.

Research has shown that removing white lines induces uncertainty and thus cuts vehicle speeds by 13%. This has been the case on London’s A22, A23 and A100. Pilot schemes are also in place in Wiltshire, Derby, and round the Queen’s house at Sandringham (don’t ask).

Behind this demarking lies the concept of “shared space” and “naked streets”, developed in the 1990s by the late Dutch engineer, Hans Monderman. He held that traffic was safest when road users were “self-policing” and streets were cleared of controlling clutter. His innovations, now adopted in some 400 towns across Europe, have led to dramatic falls in accidents. Yet for some reason Monderman’s ideas remain starkly uninfluential in the world of “big” health and safety, especially in Britain.

Monderman’s principle is that freedom to assess risk for ourselves is what makes us safer. Rules, controls, signs, traffic lights all reduce our awareness of our surroundings and thus our sense of danger. On roads, he said: “When you don’t exactly know who has right of way, you tend to seek eye contact with other road users. You automatically reduce your speed … and take greater care.”

Full article - The removal of road markings is to be celebrated. We are safer without them | Simon Jenkins

Last edited:
It wasn't 50 years, it was 70 years.
He's never had a licence, so he couldn't apply to have it extended !!

Latest posts

Back