Mango brett beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegrantickle

Regular.
Reaction score
Yo,

So I'm soon brewing a mango and chilli mixed ferm sour. It'll be soured with lacto for 2 days then fermented 100% with a mixed brett culture I've made.

I am going to ass the chilis and mangoes to the fermenter. My question is about the mango husks and seeds... I'd like to add the mangoes whole or halved, maybe slashing the skin a few times. Does anyone have any experience of what leaving the husks/seeds in them would do to the beer? Would it impart some kind of almond like flavour in the same way cherry stones do? Would the husk maybe give some undesirable flavours?

Thoughts?

Yo,

So I'm soon brewing a mango and chilli mixed ferm sour. It'll be soured with lacto for 2 days then fermented 100% with a mixed brett culture I've made.

I am going to ass the chilis and mangoes to the fermenter. My question is about the mango husks and seeds... I'd like to add the mangoes whole or halved, maybe slashing the skin a few times. Does anyone have any experience of what leaving the husks/seeds in them would do to the beer? Would it impart some kind of almond like flavour in the same way cherry stones do? Would the husk maybe give some undesirable flavours?

Thoughts?
I have not used Mango myself but a friend used Mango in a Mango lassie IPA. He used Mango chucks roughed up, he made a second attempt using Mango pulp from a tin. This ended up not tasting great.
If your using fresh mango I would be inclined to peal and remove the flesh from the core.

Latest posts

Back