Mango Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Geezer

Reaction score
Thinking of making a mango cider using,

8 ltrs Asda apple juice
1 kilo Asda frozen mango chunks defrosted and put through a food processer/blender first
2 ltrs water
1 pack Mangrove Jacks cider yeast

Any thoughts or recommendations I don't want it too strong it's for my daughter when she comes to visit, the way my beer disappears you would think her husband left the tap on all night. I don't mind though it's nice to know it's appreciated at least I think it is.

Just rough chop the mango to cut down on sediment (and add a little pectolase if you have some). I've made many a batch of peach wine using tinned peaches and apple juice and this is basically the same just with no added sugar (so less alcohol).

Are you going to carbonate or leave it still?

Thanks for the reply Clint

The main reason for using frozen Mango was the juice contained additives

Ingredients
Water, Mango Purée from Concentrate (19%), Sugar, Citric Acid, Stabiliser (Pectins), Vitamin C, Sweetener (Sucralose), Flavourings

Whereas the apple juice just contained apple juice

Ingredients
Apple Juice from Concentrate.

I don't make a lot of cider and still have a few bottles that don't taste alcoholic at all but 2 - 500ml bottles and I would be in the land of nod it had a mixture of apple juice, fresh raspberries, strawberries, a couple of limes blackcurrant (Ribena) and dextrose no water.

It came out far too strong for me so this time no dextrose and additional water to lower the alc content.

Thank for the reply Led_Zep

How much pectolase would you recommend and why and yes I will be carbonating it.

The pectolase helps the end results to clear (it breaks down the pectin from the fruit) but it is just for aesthetics. I normally add 1 tsp per gallon (4.5l).

As for carbonation? It's personal taste but i think cider is better for it.

Also, you should add some yeast nutrient. A teaspoon should do it. Keep those little fellas as happy as can be.

If you want a sweet cider, be aware that you can't backsweeten with sugar if you also want to bottle carbonate your cider. You can use sweetener or you can leave it dry, or you can just make some sugar syrup and add some to the drinking glass before pouring the dry cider in.

Turbo ciders tend to benefit from an addition of strong tea to give it some tannin. I usually make a litre of tea from 10 tea bags. This could be half of your diluting water. Allow it cool before adding it to the juice.

If I add fruit to a turbo cider I usually blitz it in a food processor with a small amount of the apple juice. Historically I’ve just dumped it into the fermentation vessel, but with Rhubarb and Plums I’ve strained and squeezed it through muslin and discarded the pulp.

I’ve never made one with Mango.

My thanks to everyone for your input I will update this thread with the results in a couple of months or sooner as the case may be.

Latest posts

Back