Mango IPA & a Chocolate IPA Tips Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenboy

Reaction score
I want to enhance a kit splitting a mangrove jacks Simcoe IPA and adding mango to one half and chocolate to the other:

Mango IPA- I'll use fresh mango, probably about 5 or six. Will peel chop and heat for 20 mins mins in a pan to kill any bacteria etc. Add to a muslin bag and drop in fermenter when the gravity is about 120-122. I've been told this is a good approach, but what about the extra sugars in the fruit? Will that mess up my FG calculations? Should I add less sugar as a result? Is that enough mango for what will be about 20 litres of beer?

Chocolate IPA- will simply add 200gms of cocao nibs directly in at the same time I dry hop. I dry hop in a muslin bag. Wondering if I toast the nibs first will that give me a richer chocolate flavour in the beer?

Now I know some will be saying "chocolate IPA, are you crazy?". Well the answer is yes. Im crazy about trying something a little different. I tried a chocolate larger a couple years ago and I was really impressed, and I don't even like larger.

A lot of questions, thanks for any answers

Ken

If your cacao nibs are raw then yes toast them to release the chocolate flavours. Nibs sold for baking are generally roasted already though for that reason.

Oh and by the way, you’re crazy!!

I decided to go the whole fv with mango. Added 600gms of fresh mango. I blended then heated for 10 minutes, let cool then refrigerated for a day before adding to the brew at room temperature. I used a muslin bag and dry hopped at same time. Another week and I'll use finings before bottling.

I'm looking forward to the results.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_20180603_104132331.jpg
    IMG_20180603_104132331.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 131
I know you've already done this but as another option you can get big tins 800g-1KG of mango puree in the world food aisles in supermarkets. At the moment as it's Ramadan they are often on special offer.

I know you've already done this but as another option you can get big tins 800g-1KG of mango puree in the world food aisles in supermarkets. At the moment as it's Ramadan they are often on special offer.

Can they be chucked straight in FV or would they need heating first?

Cheers for the responses. I opted for fresh as this would give me better flavour and there would be added sugar and other preservatives I don't want in the beer.

It's bubbling away nicely. I took an extra gravity reading afterwards and it had only increased by 1 point. Probably a reasonable reading considering I didn't stir.

Ken

It's bottled and carbonating away!

Already thinking I should have added more mango. Had a taste whilst bottling, wasn't much there. I'm hoping the Simcoe hops will balance out the sweetness, although my FG was bang on 1.008. so looking good for now.

Attachments

• IMG_20180613_183847059.jpg
    IMG_20180613_183847059.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20180613_183856832.jpg
    IMG_20180613_183856832.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 120
How much mango would you add next time? I'm planning on a mango IPA myself, and have decided to use the big 850g cans. I've got 2 from Morrisons, but unsure how much I should use.

Did putting it in a muslin bag help? I can't see mango pulp being contained in a hop sock. I'm just going to dump mine in.

I've got 500g of fresh mango sitting in a 4 litre brew which I'll probably rack into a secondary tomorrow night, be interesting to see if the flavour does come through.

I think you could just chuck them straight in. They will have been heat treated in the can to sterilise them so they should be safe to go. They aren't 100% pure mango, there's some sugar in there too so you will need to account for that but they are probably cheaper and easier than fresh mango.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Tinned_Fruit/KTC_Kesar_Mango_Pulp_850g.html
I was thinking of using some and its cheap. Do you think you could add a tin to the keg or would it ruin the mouthfeel?

I just kegged a mango and vanilla milkshake yesterday
I added a KG of frozen mango chunks from farm foods.
The mango comes through beautifully and still leaves room for the hops

Not blowing m own trumpet but its the smoothest, thickest mouthfeel beer ive brewed. Thinking its more Ice Cream than Milkshake

How much mango would you add next time? I'm planning on a mango IPA myself, and have decided to use the big 850g cans. I've got 2 from Morrisons, but unsure how much I should use.

Did putting it in a muslin bag help? I can't see mango pulp being contained in a hop sock. I'm just going to dump mine in.
I've not tasted yet. Still got a few days carbonation left. Then in the garage to clear. My last mangroves jack's was clear after a couple weeks.

I would probably double my amounts next time, plus skip the bag. Most of the mango was still in the bag. I gave a little squeeze with the stirer to force a bit out.

I brewed 23litres and used 3 large mangos. I'd probably want a least a kg next time, but the taste test Will tell.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back