Mango Milkshake IPA disappointment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Hello all

Recently brewed my first milkshake IPA and as the title suggests, it is a bit of a disaster. Basically it has no taste.

it was a 23l partial mash. Recipe as follows:

1 Tin (1.7kg) of Coopers IPA
2kg Extra pale malt
1kg Flaked oats
Both mashed at 67c for 60 mins
750g Lactose
No hops in boil. 30 minute hop stand as follows,
70g Cascade
10g Azacca
10g El Dorado
2 x CML Haze yeast packets (22g total)
Fermented at 19c for 12 days.
Then further additions directly in to the fermenter for 7 days as follows,
1.5kg Frozen mango thawed & scrunched
835g Tin of mango purée
50ml Vanilla Extract
50g Azacca
50g El Dorado

OG 1.059
FG 1.015

Bottled and conditioned for 16 days.

Happy with the numbers. Appearance is fantastic, body is excellent. Soft bitterness. So in that sense the perfect beer for the style. Just no flavor of mango, hops or vanilla. Just a very bland beer.

What do you guys think? I’m baffled…

Thanks in advance

I think you need to use more frozen mangos, from memory I used 4kg in my Mango IPA and it was not over in the mango taste but enough for me.
If you are expecting a real mango fruit bomb you need to use plenty of fruit also the Lactose seems a little high to my taste too I think when I have used Lactose(which I did not in my Mango IPA) I have used half that amount but again it is personal preference

Thanks for the reply Baron. Fair play with reference to the fruit. Thing is I brewed a raspberry Gose a couple of months back using a similar 100g of fruit per liter and it’s the best beer I’ve brewed. Also the absence of hops or vanilla is strange. I’ve brewed plenty of pales with around 10g of hops per liter and have all been pleasing. Really has stumped me.

Yes Raspberry is a stronger flavour in beer so you do not need as much and also would need more lactose than the Mango as it is more acidic.
The mango is sweeter in finish and milder in taste so you would need a minimum of 4k in a standard batch and more if you really want a strong fruity taste. The other option is to use one of those additions you can buy nowadays for beers but some of the purists will say they can come across as artificial.
I used 2 bottles of that Cherry Lowicz juice in a cherry porter and that was just right for me and gave a nice cherry background without overpowering the beer

I can see a couple of potential culprits.

1. Did you add the mango to primary? Apparently the trub/yeast can interfere with the flavour. For best results add the fruit to a new FV and siphon the beer on top as you would for batch priming. Ideally with something like this you want to be airless too as these styles of beer are prone to oxidisation.

2. Fruit wise you look about right, more is always better and I would use the puree over the fresh as it makes less mess and needs less prep.

3. I add the Vanilla extract to the keg or the bottling bucket, I think it gets a bit lost in the fermentation activity and potentially behind too much lactose.

4. Not sure about using coopers IPA as a base, a can of pale LME might have given a better result.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

Yeah added to primary. Never bother with secondary and have not had issues previously with lake of flavor.

Must’ve not used enough mango as suggested.

Still scratching me head about any hop flavor. Both the Azacca and El Dorado smelt good before adding and Cascade generally delivers.

Maybe like suggested too much lactose has muted everything????

As for the IPA tin/kit, I have used before on other partial mash batches and has worked well. Done a hazy IPA with citra and mosaic and it was a winner.

So underwhelming after all the effort

Could you perhaps achieve some mango from dry hopping with a hop with mango-like flavour such as Olicana? However it's not a hop I have tried yet so don't know if it's truly as much mango as they claim.

Latest posts

Back