Mangrove Jack’s Belgian Abbey M47 in an APA?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed vK

Reaction score
Managed to negotiate a brew day (evening/night) tomorrow if I do a family outing in the morning- wish she liked beer!

Planning an American pale late/dry hopped with 100g El Dorado and a touch of centennial. Grain bill is 4.6kg Maris with 0.2 of Cara, med crystal and wheat malt.
Mash at 66C for an hr, mash out at 76, BIAB.
1.051 OG estimate.

It is warm in Bristol and I struggle to get the wort below 24C so I’m tempted to try a yeast other than my usual US-05.
I have:
US-04 (probably not)
Lallemand Nottingham
MJ’s M47

Would the Abbey yeast make a phenolic mess of my brew and should I just try my damnedest to pitch 05 at close to 21C?

Grain and hops are all weighed out so I’m committed now!

Thanks

Managed to negotiate a brew day (evening/night) tomorrow if I do a family outing in the morning- wish she liked beer!

Planning an American pale late/dry hopped with 100g El Dorado and a touch of centennial. Grain bill is 4.6kg Maris with 0.2 of Cara, med crystal and wheat malt.
Mash at 66C for an hr, mash out at 76, BIAB.
1.051 OG estimate.

It is warm in Bristol and I struggle to get the wort below 24C so I’m tempted to try a yeast other than my usual US-05.
I have:
US-04 (probably not)
Lallemand Nottingham
MJ’s M47

Would the Abbey yeast make a phenolic mess of my brew and should I just try my damnedest to pitch 05 at close to 21C?

Grain and hops are all weighed out so I’m committed now!

Thanks
Belgian IPA is a great style, I reckon this will come out lovely.

So that’s one vote for Abbey and one for US-05.
6hrs or so to pitching

Apparently Nottingham are very neutral as the taste go and doesn't produce any off taste in higher temp range.

Brewing tomorrow some hoppy IPA and will use Notty as my house doesn't get lover than 24 degrees. It was recommended to me on this forum. Still trying to source a fridge ....

US05 is a viable option even in July. I have often pitched in the high 20's and got away with it on the basis that the yeast will initially put all efforts into replication and the production of alcohol and by-products is fairly low. The wort will inevitably cool considerably overnight, unless we have really freak weather.
At least that is a story that fits the empirical evidence.

Thanks everyone. Went with 05, as usual although I rehydrated for the first time. It sat about for an hour or so because my measly 8mm x 10m chiller took an age to bring it to 25c.

Back