Mangrove Jack Irish red ale help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7 days is NOT enough time for a kit. Yes, it will produce beer but it won't be good. Give the yeast another week to clean up some of the off tastes produced during fermentation.
Refer back to my post at #2 in this thread. Leave it 10 days from starting before adding hops as it sounds like it's just about ready from your hydrometer readings. I would never bottle a kit before a fortnight in the fv.
Don't worry about leaving too long in the fv. I have had a couple of kits take almost 4 weeks to fully ferment and dry hop.
Also don't worry about leaving the dry hop in too long. One of the kits that took 4 weeks was dry hopped for 2 weeks as it took longer to finish than I expected.
Interesting and good to know about the dry hopping. I have a MJ Grapefruit IPA kit on the go at the moment and I'm on day 14 since hopping. SG has come down to 1007 but it is still bubbling every 90 seconds or so. I'm thinking of kegging it tomorrow.

If the reading is constant over 3 consecutive days then it's done and ready to bottle/keg. If you're not sure if it's finished (but think it should be) then kegging is safer as they have pressure relief valves to help vent any excess pressure. At least you won't end up with bottle bombs with a keg!

It could also be finished and the airlock activity is just due to trapped co2 in the trub being released (although that wouldn't be a regular bubbling).

If the reading is constant over 3 consecutive days then it's done and ready to bottle/keg. If you're not sure if it's finished (but think it should be) then kegging is safer as they have pressure relief valves to help vent any excess pressure. At least you won't end up with bottle bombs with a keg!

It could also be finished and the airlock activity is just due to trapped co2 in the trub being released (although that wouldn't be a regular bubbling).
Fair point Pavros. The corny takes 19 litres so I'll be left with 4 litres ish to bottle. I'll have to keep them in a bomb proof box!

You can't leave it too long really (ish) I hated bottling (I keg now) so I had a brew in the FV for around 8 weeks before I bottled it and it was really good. Patients is your biggest friend when brewing.
I wonder if I have been doing something wrong then - I have left a few of my brews for longer in the FV before bottling (due to either (a) FG being higher than expected /(b) procrastination / (c) laziness ) and I have been finding my brews coming out a bit flat.

Adding priming sugar as usual but not getting a lot of carbonation, so I was wondering if the yeast has died/gone into suspension. Bottles parked close to radiator for a 10-20 days and then moved to garage.

I wonder if I have been doing something wrong then - I have left a few of my brews for longer in the FV before bottling (due to either (a) FG being higher than expected /(b) procrastination / (c) laziness ) and I have been finding my brews coming out a bit flat.

Adding priming sugar as usual but not getting a lot of carbonation, so I was wondering if the yeast has died/gone into suspension. Bottles parked close to radiator for a 10-20 days and then moved to garage.
Depends on what temperature it's left at, I never used to cold crash then and left it at 20°C probably (it was a wherry) I also used a spoon of sugar as I like mine fizzy.

Latest posts

Back