Mangrove Jacks Beer Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorit31

Reaction score
Just looking for some information regarding adding extract to these kits to add some Citrus flavour.
I am very nes to home brewing so excuse my ignorance in any questions.
I recently brewed a Juicy IPA with pretty good results but was looking to possibly add some orange and lemon extract to enhance slightly with summer arriving.
So the question is can the extract be added when pitching the yeast or would this be better during the Dry hops week ? Or add to fermentation bucket prior to bottling ??
Any ideas or previous experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I'd personally add something like that just before you bottle (you could batch prime at the same time) this way you could check the flavour of the 'finished' beer.

That said, I would just stick in 50g of citra hops for a 3 or 4 day dry hop before bottling, be a lovely high hop flavour.

If you do go the extract, try adding some to a can of lager so you can work out the ratios.

I'm a bit of a purist and I like to stick to nature! I feel that adding man made stuff to beer is a tad risky. It can wreck a beer. Not necessarily obviously. And tastes vary enormously too, a lot of highly unnatural food and drink is extremely popular!

But nature has a lot to offer. You can get citrus flavours from hops, from yeast and also from citrus fruits! And they are nearly always better.

But good beer can be made with flavour extracts, I'm sure. It's just my thing to stick to natural ingredients. I worry about the yeasts I use...

Good ideas thanks I have a batch in bottles so might try adding some flavours as mentioned to find a good summer tasting beer for the next batch and may attempt to play with the Hops additions on the one after.
Justa beginner and still trying to get my head around the Hop additions as I have tasted beers to be to Hoppy before so its getting the correct balance thats the fear for me. But all information is well received.

Latest posts

Back