Mangrove Jacks Belgian Saison.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yikkerman

Reaction score
Made the kit as per the instructions and have kegged it earlier today.
Had a taste ( as I usually do when kegging ) and was a bit disappointed.
Tasted quite "smokey" and not at all what I was expecting. I know the saison can be something of an acquired taste but am hoping for some improvement with time.
Anyone had similar results with this kit ??

I've not tasted that particular beer, but by smokey do you mean something like the smokiness you get in a Scotch whisky? If so that possibly comes from the yeast phenols, although saison usually has more of a peppery/spicy phenol character.

not a whiskey drinker but.........
really difficult to put into words a "taste" but a bit like smokey wellington boot rubber ( ok - i'm going to get mocked I know !!!! )
just hopeful of some improvement after its been sat a while.

Be interesting to hear how this one turns out in the end. Was looking at these new MJ kits as they have a lot of unique varieties now.

Is this the sour one?

No - the "Belgian Saison"
I was interested in the Sour as i've seen it advertised but this has put me off TBH.

Shame. Well see what it's like in a couple of months hey.

I am getting my sours and saisons mixed up!

Probably wont wait that log - i've got 6 cornies and dont want one tied up with a potentially udrinkable brew.
Will give it some time though and if the smokey/rubber taste is still there then its one for the drain:(

If the off-flavour isn't simply the phenolic yeast flavours, it could be a chlorophenol issue which often comes from a wild yeast infection or chlorine in the tap water.

Hi folks. I'm interested in this but don't have a second fv. Do you really need one?

I forgot to update this post - in the end I binned this batch , the flavour was just not right.
I've actually just bought another to try again - one seller has them on offer on ebay @ £16.99 - so heres hoping this next one turns out better !!

Be interesting to hear how this one turns out in the end. Was looking at these new MJ kits as they have a lot of unique varieties now.

Is this the sour one?
Just bottled a MJ Roasted Stout, will let you know how it tastes in a few weeks

Back