Mangrove Jack's Brewer's Series Golden Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bettybeers

Reaction score
This is my first ever homebrew, so went for something cheap and cheerful, after reading that golden ales are easy for new brewers. I've not seen a review for this kit so here's mine...

The instructions advise to use 1kg brewing sugar but swapped this out for 1kg brew enhancer 2. The kit comes in a box with a soft pouch and a sachet of yeast inside. I brewed short to 20litres using bottled Tesco cheap water and set it going. The airlock bubbled pretty steadily for around 4 days, and I left it in for a total of 13 days before bottling, then two more weeks in bottles in the warm (22c) then a week in the cool garage. That takes me up to right now, and although it needs another week at least, I had to try it.

I'm so pleased with the results. This is my first ever brew, but it tastes brilliant! The ale is absolutely clear, not a lot of carbonation or head retention, but it is refreshing and has a nice bitterness. If my hydrometer readings are right this is around 4.4%. I've put another one in the fridge and will be sinking it soon. It tastes fresher than supermarket beers, and will definitely try the MJ Brewers series again, it's very drinkable and at £11 it's a bargain.

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_192839236.jpg
    IMG_20200620_192839236.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 184
I love these little MJ kits - and I chose the NZ Pilsner as my first return-to-brewing kit. I added some mosaic to half of it, and it would a treat! I've been keeping an eye on Brew2Bottle stock for a while - but they're always out!

That looks good mate, will have to add this one to the to do list :laugh8: athumb.. :beer1:

I made this one a while back and use light DME as I had run out of dextrose. The result had loads of body and a faint banana taste to it, which was unexpected but not unpleasant.

Sorry, didn't realise I'd put a lol! It should've been...
😃athumb..:beer1:

So its now been six weeks since I opened the kit and started the brew and today I've got stuck right in. The ale is crystal clear (apart from when I poured in all the sediment accidentally 🤦‍♂️). It's really easy drinking, and I was worried it wasn't very alcoholic, but it's caught up with me all at once after a couple of bottles and yeah...it's definitely alcoholic. I'm very impressed with the results 🥴

Back