Mangrove Jacks California Lager Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Jeory

Regular.
Reaction score
On another thread some of the guys suggested using the above yeast to ferment lager at ambient temps. I've now ordered some and plan on attempting a pilsner urquell "clone" (not using same yeast so not really a clone) and was wondering what peoples experiences were with it?

I'm assuming its a top fermenting ale yeast that mimicks the lager flavour of its bottom fermenting mates?

If you've used it and have some tips please share them.

Thanks

Daz

I've got a California Common currently fermenting using this yeast and its all good so far. Judging by the airlock activity it rocketed through the first few days and has now gone quiet after less than a week. Will check the SG today and then again after the weekend

I made a German pilsner recently which has turned out very nice...I used two packets of s23 at 14c..with fermentation,resting and crashing it took three weeks.
I'm planning to do the same beer with the MJ yeast,save a week on the fermentation and save about £4 on yeast...

I'm not too bothered about time or cost...I just don't have facilities or space for them but really enjoy a well made pilsner

Just did a pilsner urquell "clone" but substituted the lager yeast for MJ...JESUS CHRIST! 1.048 to 1.009 in 5 days flat! I tasted my sample from the FV and it tasted better than some stuff I've served in the past.

Very clean and has a very discernable "lager flavour"...highly recommend!!!

Thanks for all your input

I've had a sachet hanging about at the back of my fridge for a while. I've forgotten why I did, but it's high time I tried it. I understand it's a bottom fermenting lager yeast which works at ale temperatures.
Let's see.

Get ready for a krausen fest....my understanding is that it is in fact an ale yeast but the end product is as clean as a lager yeast

How close to P.U. did it turn out, I love the stuff...!!! Would you share the recipe, please? Cheers Tim.

Hard to tell yet asnits still in secondary. Download the brewfather app and there are loads on there but one claims to have come from someone who works there...you can deffo taste the saaz hops in it though which is great

I use it for most of my pilsners, never gone wrong with it yet. It tried one from the shed last night as the temperature was hovering just above freezing. Been in there nearly a month so approaching my acceptable timeframe of lagering. It was that good I had to have another to make sure it wasn’t a mistake 😂

Quick update

MJ54 fermented out in 5 days flat...super fast.

Its been carbing in bottle for approx 5 days now and it has already cleared

Just hope it tastes good now

Thats it right now

Attachments

• 20210418_105049.jpg
    20210418_105049.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 48
Back