Mangrove Jacks cider gone wrong?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.T

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the Home Brewing world and In need of a little advice please.
So I've recently tried to make 2x Mangrove Jacks cider pouches.
1X Mixed Berry and 1x Raspberry and Lime.
Both have been made at different times and ended up with the same results...Sulfur smell when bottling and after being rested for 2 months :( I am aware this maybe down to stressed yeast but i'm not sure where i went wrong as i followed the directions of yourselves within the forums and some of the directions on the form that came with pouch.

Where am i going wrong?
What can i do to help prevent this again in the future?

I've not run into any major issues brewing Lager it just seems cider is my Achilles heel. I'll give as much info into my brewing process down below.

Used 23 liters bottled water
Mixed in pouch with Boiled water (2/3 liters) and added dextrose sugar (stirred very well). Topped up to 23 liters and added mo2 yeast supplied with pouch. Stirred and stored at approx 16/17c for approx 18 days. Checked hydrometer and seems like fermentation stopped (around 1.002)
Proceeded by adding flavour and rested a day before bottling.

The air lock was buzzing away for quite some time during the process of fermentation but once stopped the sulfur was still there. As soon as i mixed in the flavor pouch it was a nice strong smell of berries or Lime but instantly vanished once stirred and the sulfur returned!
After i bottled both batches i left to rest at room temp for 2/3 weeks (17c). Then moved to the garage where its cooler (approx 13c).

But even after resting the sulfur taste/smell is better than when first bottled but still undrinkable :(

Everything was sanitised with a no rinse sanitiser

Any help/ideas would be much appreciated - Many Thanks

Your process/method looks fine.

The only thing I do differently is, once the fermentation is finished I generally leave the cider for a week or so to clear. Then I siphon the brew to a second sterilised vessel. In the second vessel I put 220g of sugar dissolved in a small amount of hot water. I work on 10g/litre for priming, and the loss of a litre that contains the sediment in the first vessel.

I then stir in the flavouring, and bottle instantly.

Thereafter it’s kept warm for a week or so, then stored.

Very often you’ll find time is your friend, so I’d give it another month, and try it again.

Some cider kits do have the sulphury smell, but it dissipates with time.

Back