Mangrove Jacks Citra IPA review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Kit started 12th March 2022.
Added Dark Rock Pale Ale Beer Kit Enhancer, Pure Brew, and then made up to 23L with Tesco Ashbeck mineral water.
Fermented in brew fridge at 20.5°C.
Kit hops added on 23rd March.
Bottled on 25th March, with one sugar stick (mix of white and brown) per bottle and put into brew fridge at 20.5°C.
Moved out to shed on 8th April.
First pint - 2nd June.

For anyone staring in disbelief at the gap between the bottling date and the first taste, I have been away every weekend for weeks so have not had a chance to try the Citra IPA until last Thursday!

I know the head looks large in the photo, but I rushed the pouring a bit. The second one was much better. It's a beautiful golden colour and once it settles a bit (the photo was taken just after pouring), it's nice and clear with absolutely no hint of twang on the nose. The first taste was a revelation. It was nice and chilled having been in the fridge all day and the initial sweet hit of Citra hops (without question my favourite hop) was then followed by a perfect bitter finish with no twang whatsoever. The carbonation level is just right for my tastes.

I had a pint of Oakham Citra IPA in the pub very recently and I don't think it was at its best. This, from an extract kit, is actually much better. Don't get me wrong, Oakham Citra is a lovely pint and I'm not saying my effort is better when the real thing is served in best condition, but the one I had was just below standard. If I was served a pint of this home brew in a pub, I'd be absolutely delighted with it (and would never guess it's home brew - it's really rounded).

I'm also currently drinking the Dark Rock West Coast Pale Ale and I have to say that as good as that is, this is even better (or maybe just more to my personal taste). It's a beautiful pint and a perfect example of a Citra IPA. Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA and Juicy Session IPA are right up there with the best kits I've ever done and this has to join them. It might even be better than either of them. The perfect summer pint - gorgeous beer.

Attachments

• Citra_IPA.jpg
    Citra_IPA.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 7
Another great review. I’ve just added dry hops this evening to my 3rd batch of Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA. That has been one of the best. You should seriously try the Citra IPA Full Extract kit from the Homebrew Company. Definitely without a doubt the best beer I have brewed so far. It has blown the Muntons Hazy IPA out of the water. It think you’d love it. I’ve a full extract Wheat Beer I’m doing next.

Thank you! I've not ventured into full- or part-grain brewing yet as firstly, I would need to get more kit to enable me to do it, but more importantly, I struggle for time just doing extract kits at the moment. I'm sure I'll look at it at some stage, but it may have to wait until the day retirement comes along! To be honest, if I'm getting beer of the quality of this Citra IPA, then I'm very happy. - for now at least!

Last edited:
Thank you! I've not ventured into full- or part-grain brewing yet as firstly, I would need to get more kit to enable me to do it, but more importantly, I struggle for time just doing extract kits at the moment. I'm sure I'll look at it at some stage, but it may have to wait until the day retirement comes along! To be honest, if I'm getting beer of the quality of this Citra IPA, then I'm very happy. - for now at least!
Absolutely, the quality of kits now is fantastic. I genuinely find them as good as many shop bought craft beers. I am in a similar boat as you. I will just continue to brew kits and will do the odd full extract brew.
It took probably 2 hours in total. It was my first time to attempt a full extract brew, but it was simple enough. The only extra kit I needed was a stock pot, I had a 9 litre stock pot here at home, it worked just fine so I didn’t need to buy anything extra.

Did MJ Citra, got mixed reviews, some like it, others have said its just too much Citra. Just done MJ Irish stout, they are good kits no doubt about it.
I’m amazed that anyone would think it’s too much citra. Too many hops can just as easily spoil a beer as too few, but I think the balance on this one is outstanding.

Just had my 1st bottle of this over the weekend and it's a real winner. Great colour, carbonation and mouth feel. I think the hops are perfectly balanced in it, mine ended up at 5.6% and could he happily drunk all night though I think I would be very merry after a few of these. 🍺🍺

Just had my 1st bottle of this over the weekend and it's a real winner. Great colour, carbonation and mouth feel. I think the hops are perfectly balanced in it, mine ended up at 5.6% and could he happily drunk all night though I think I would be very merry after a few of these. 🍺🍺

Definitely a kit I will do again. It's right up there with the very best of the extract kits I've ever done.

Currently brewing this, just coming up to a week now. This will be the first beer I keg and serve on draft - can not wait to try it.

I'm sure you won't be disapppointed - I've already decided that I'm going to do it again as my next brew once my Hazy IPA is out of the brew fridge. It's an absolutely cracking pint and I've suggested to the Partridge Brothers that they review it.

For anyone interested, I've been wanting to do this kit again for ages but it hasn't been in stock anywhere for months. I messaged Mangrove Jacks through their website and asked them if it would return. The answer was that it was a limited edition and will no longer be available.

What a shame! Probably the best kit I've ever done and I won't be able to do it again! I can only assume it didn't sell in the numbers they needed it to which is surprising given its quality. I'm off to sulk in a corner somewhere.

For anyone interested, I've been wanting to do this kit again for ages but it hasn't been in stock anywhere for months. I messaged Mangrove Jacks through their website and asked them if it would return. The answer was that it was a limited edition and will no longer be available.

What a shame! Probably the best kit I've ever done and I won't be able to do it again! I can only assume it didn't sell in the numbers they needed it to which is surprising given its quality. I'm off to sulk in a corner somewhere.
That’s a pity. If you’re interested I did the Citra IPA Full Extract Kit from the Homebrew Company last year and it was amazing. Best kit I’ve ever done and I’ll be doing it again.

I've done a lot of MJ kits but never the Citra - I must have caught on too late as this one has never been available to me even though I've read many positive comments. Anyway, my question is, would it not be possible to use a different MJ kit as a basis - say the American IPA - and substitute the hops supplied with Citra. Was the MJ Citra a single hop kit? I realise that adds to the cost but if the Citra was that good, wouldn't it be worth it??

I've done a lot of MJ kits but never the Citra - I must have caught on too late as this one has never been available to me even though I've read many positive comments. Anyway, my question is, would it not be possible to use a different MJ kit as a basis - say the American IPA - and substitute the hops supplied with Citra. Was the MJ Citra a single hop kit? I realise that adds to the cost but if the Citra was that good, wouldn't it be worth it??
The Citra IPA was a single hop kit and I'm sure you could substitute the hops from another kit, however, I wouldn't do it with the MJ American IPA. That was the only MJ kit I've done that I felt was below par. It was perfectly drinkable, but not a good example of an American IPA - apart from anything else, it was much darker in colour than I expected so not sure it would suit a Citra IPA either. I'm a big fan of the Dark Rock Session Series kits and they do a Citra IPA, so will try that at some point, with the Dark Rock enhancer.

The Citra IPA was a single hop kit and I'm sure you could substitute the hops from another kit, however, I wouldn't do it with the MJ American IPA. That was the only MJ kit I've done that I felt was below par. It was perfectly drinkable, but not a good example of an American IPA - apart from anything else, it was much darker in colour than I expected so not sure it would suit a Citra IPA either. I'm a big fan of the Dark Rock Session Series kits and they do a Citra IPA, so will try that at some point, with the Dark Rock enhancer.
Thanks for that. I wasn't suggesting that you 'should' use MJ AIPA, I just plucked that one out of the air. Will investigate the Dark Rock one, though.

Back