Mangrove Jacks Grapefruit IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinp

Reaction score
Hi All,

New member looking for some guidance.

Looking to to start this kit over the weekend. Kit says to ferment for 7 days before adding the hops and bottling after a further 2-3 days.

One thing I have gleaned from this site is that longer is better so my previous kit I bottled after 3 weeks rather than the 1 week suggested by the kit.

If I do similarly with this kit, at what stage do I add the hops - after 7 days or 2-3 days before bottling?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I would do as the instructions state but rack the beer off the hops after 3 days and into secondary for a week before bottling.

Thanks - that sounds like a good plan but will involve buying a second fermenting bucket ...

Hi All,

New member looking for some guidance.

Looking to to start this kit over the weekend. Kit says to ferment for 7 days before adding the hops and bottling after a further 2-3 days.

One thing I have gleaned from this site is that longer is better so my previous kit I bottled after 3 weeks rather than the 1 week suggested by the kit.

If I do similarly with this kit, at what stage do I add the hops - after 7 days or 2-3 days before bottling?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Hi martinp
This kit is my next brew and like all brews that require dry hopping i always wait till fermentation has just about finished before adding the hops. I find that adding the hops during fermentation can make for a very bitter ale, So I usually wait till gravity is down to 1010 before hopping.
After removing the hops I leave to settle for around 4-5 days before bottling.

Cheers Dicko

This is a great kit,i must have made about 10 of these (as my local homebrew shop was closing and selling them at half price) highly recommended.

Thanks all for the tips. It is merrily bubbling away in the FV so now I just need to decide whose advice to follow when hopping and bottling :?:

This is a great kit. I will be doing this again and again, really good. Way better than pub varaiants. 1.046 to 1.006. Would prefer BBQ. Lovely meat.

Attachments

• 770CBED3-620E-4768-A3E9-B686DC76B7E3.jpeg
    770CBED3-620E-4768-A3E9-B686DC76B7E3.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 61
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Had a bottle of this last night and it was excellent. Bottle was 355ml (ex-Old Speckled Hen, with easy to remove labels ...) and had one Coopers carbonation drop in it and the taste and carbonation was excellent (on my previous brew, Coopers Extra Smooth Bitter I found one drop in a 500 ml bottle was under carbonated, so will have to see how the 500 ml bottles of this with one carbonation drop turn out - unfortunately, that wasn't ready until I'd bottled this).

Brew details as follows:

Brew date 10/04/21 OG 1.054

Hops added 21/04/21

Bottled 25/04/21 FG 1.011

Kept at room temperature until 08/05/21 then moved to garage apart from 2 bottles put in fridge, one of which I had last night.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Had a bottle of this last night and it was excellent. Bottle was 355ml (ex-Old Speckled Hen, with easy to remove labels ...) and had one Coopers carbonation drop in it and the taste and carbonation was excellent (on my previous brew, Coopers Extra Smooth Bitter I found one drop in a 500 ml bottle was under carbonated, so will have to see how the 500 ml bottles of this with one carbonation drop turn out - unfortunately, that wasn't ready until I'd bottled this).

Brew details as follows:

Brew date 10/04/21 OG 1.054

Hops added 21/04/21

Bottled 25/04/21 FG 1.011

Kept at room temperature until 08/05/21 then moved to garage apart from 2 bottles put in fridge, one of which I had last night.
I only used carbonation drops for my first brew. I used 2 x drops per 500ml bottle and the carbonation was spot on. Since then I have batch primed. It is way easier and cheaper. I add 180g of brewing sugar to 400ml of water in a sauce pan, bring to the boil whilst stirring to make sure all is dissolved and then allow to cool. I then add it to the bottom of my bottling bucket and transfer the beer over. Once transferred over I give the brew a very gentle stir so as not to introduce any air and then bottle the beer. So far so good. 180g is perfect for most beer styles.

Latest posts

Back