Mangrove Jacks Hard Seltzer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 24hrs later and it's pretty much crystal clear :cool:

Attachments

• PXL_20210213_104327596.jpg
    PXL_20210213_104327596.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 74
Thought I'd post an update in case anyone was interested. I moved things along a bit due to work commitments.

It was in the FV for 7 days. I then added finings and left for 48hrs. I then transferred to a clean FV, added flavourings and left for a further 48hrs.

I transferred to a bottling bucket, then bottled in to 1L PET with 3 carbonation drops. (The instructions recommend 3 drops for a 750ml).

Currently looking like a mildly-cloudy lemonade. I wasn't expecting crystal clear seltzer but expect it will clear further after a week or two of carbonating and resting. I had a sip whilst bottling and it smelt like white whine...tasted like a vaguely fruity water. The flavouring is very subtle at the moment, but hopefully will improve a bit with time. Not the end of the world if it doesn't, it was all just for a laff anyways. I imagine once the carbonation has happened it will be a refreshing and cheeky little number.
Morning Sherlock,

Hope all is well and what not?

They remind me more of a cider in the sense that you can ultimately drink them after the advised amount of days but you're definitely going to want to give it extra time to mature and clear so you can truly enjoy the fruits of your labour.

I would give it a week or two in the bottles... would expect you to see a huge difference..

Cheers.

Little update.... unfortunately, it has been a massive disappointment. I'm sure it's probably my fault, somehow, but after several weeks they have not carbonated properly. A very mild fizz as opposed to the lovely bubbles I was tentatively hoping for. The flavour is pretty unpleasant too. Perhaps a wee bit acrid, mildly fruity and mostly flat water. Meh.
It's a shame as I thought it'd be a fun thing to brew. As I say, most probably my own fault for doing something incorrectly, but I can't imagine what. Perhaps others have had more success, but for now I'll be sticking to IPAs and lagers.

Did you use both finings? I wonder if the reason the instructions say to only add one if bottling is so the yeast isn’t wiped out before it needs to ferment the priming sugar?
I’d imagine that if that was the case, the time spent in the bottle without a protective layer of co2 could cause an off flavour?

Did you use both finings? I wonder if the reason the instructions say to only add one if bottling is so the yeast isn’t wiped out before it needs to ferment the priming sugar?
I’d imagine that if that was the case, the time spent in the bottle without a protective layer of co2 could cause an off flavour?

Yep I used both packets, as recommended previously in this thread. I think you may be right...and the instructions did say to not bother with either, I think? That could explain the lack of fizz and also off flavours. Bit of a waste of money but should have followed the instructions rather than go off piste.

Hi,
How long before yours started fermenting?
I have made the Raspberry Breeze one.
Mine is 19 hours in an Ss brewbucket and nothing happening so far :(

Hi,
How long before yours started fermenting?
I have made the Raspberry Breeze one.
Mine is 19 hours in an Ss brewbucket and nothing happening so far :(

Hi,
Mine took just over 24hrs until the airlock started bubbling, which is pretty normal for homebrew beer. It smelt like a ***** white wine or a grim cider for the first few days. If you're bottling then I wouldn't bother with the finings....seems to have ruined mine! Good luck!

Mine has now finished fermenting,i held the temperature @ 20-21 Deg C in an Ss brewbucket with temperature control,and i am bottling the lot today,have not used the extra 2 sachets as per instructions,will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Good luck Nibber! Hopefully they carbonate properly, unlike mine. Report back in a few weeks! :-)

All bottled.

Attachments

• 34B0FC9D-289D-465B-AF1D-57F9B54E05BF.jpeg
    34B0FC9D-289D-465B-AF1D-57F9B54E05BF.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 103
Update-Had cleared to a water like clarity.
Well it has been in the bottles for a few weeks now so sampled a couple.Chilled to about 3 Deg C.
Unfortunately not a very pleasant taste,acidic and very tasteless 😖 which is exactly the same result i have had with the various flavour Mangrove Jacks pouch cider kits i made (about 6 in total).
Disappointing and i have the other 2 kits left🤬.....Will not be buying again.

Last edited:
I don't see the point in seltzers. I've tried a few and they've been poor. Just seems like a cheap cash grab from breweries. Isn't a cheaper/better low calorie drink achieved with sparkling flavoured water and vodka/gin?
Nibber if you're after a cider try one of the turbo cider threads. Cheap and flexible.

Well it has been in the bottles for a few weeks now so sampled a couple.Chilled to about 3 Deg C.
Unfortunately not a very pleasant taste,acidic and very tasteless 😖 which is exactly the same result i have had with the various flavour Mangrove Jacks pouch cider kits i made (about 6 in total).
Could you add some fruit tea bags to your remaining kits? You'll lose the clarity but gain flavour.

Have you tasted commercial hard seltzer’s though? They are quite gently flavoured. Like sparkling water with a touch of flavour. Not to everyone’s taste of course. Just wondering if you thought these kits were representative of commercial seltzer’s but they’re just not for you.

Could you add some fruit tea bags to your remaining kits? You'll lose the clarity but gain flavour.

Lots of people seem to make wine and cider from fruit juice (got some on the go myself) and some use fruit tea bags. Makes you wonder whether it would be just as viable to knock up something along the lines of one of these Hard Seltzers from sugar, water and a bit of fruit juice or fruit tea bags for flavour.

No,i have never tried a commercial hard seltzer (and probably never will)
Not what i would normally drink,but thought i would try it,have given the other kits away.
I will stick to my all grain brewing.
Brewing a Lallemand Verdant IPA today.

No,i have never tried a commercial hard seltzer (and probably never will)
Not what i would normally drink,but thought i would try it,have given the other kits away.
I will stick to my all grain brewing.
Brewing a Lallemand Verdant IPA today.
Fair enough. I had one of the white claw ones the other weekend after digging out the base for a shed for two hours. Sun on me, knackered and very thirsty and it went down really nice. Slightly tart, ice cold sparkling water with a twist. In right place and at the right time maybe you’d like it.

I've never tried the kits but made my own using plain skittles as a flavouring.
After fermentation was complete I kegged for a couple of days and force-carbonated when needed - it was quite lively to start with.
Tasted OK, great over ice on a warm day (I hope we get some more) but this latest batch I'm going to add finings and cold-crash before kegging as my first attempt was a little cloudy.
I might try the kits closer to summer though.

Latest posts

Back