Mangrove Jacks Helles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferosa

Reaction score
has anyone made this brew? I’ve got it in my FV at the moment, but am considering NOT adding the extra dry hops, as the few reviews I can find suggest it’s a bit too “hoppy”, I wondered if not adding the dry hops (Hallertau) might help? Cheers!

Just put one in the fridge, will let you know tomorrow! Tasted one a couple of weeks ago and it had improved a lot.

Excellent, thanks. Me and the Mrs had some lovely pints of helles in Berlin recently so I bought a kit to see what it's like. Let me know whether you added the hops and what your recommendation is

Just had a taste, either not ready (it’s been in my cellar for about 3 months) or just doesn’t taste very nice!... found it a bit tangy. I put the hops in for 3 or 4 days I think, in a hop sock. I made it with regular tap water, which was the last brew I’ve made like that. Have used either bottled or tap water with Campden tabs since, but I don’t know if that would have helped. I’ll try another one in a month or so... hoping it gets better!! I had a Paulaner Munich Helles yesterday, which was delish though!! 3 for £5 at M&S.

I just put mine in the fv. Gotta say those pouches are more of a pain than regular cans.

OG 1.040, so probably gonna end up a driving lager

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_165959.jpg
    IMG_20200111_165959.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_20200111_165954.jpg
    IMG_20200111_165954.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 338
Just had a taste, either not ready (it’s been in my cellar for about 3 months) or just doesn’t taste very nice!... found it a bit tangy. I put the hops in for 3 or 4 days I think, in a hop sock. I made it with regular tap water, which was the last brew I’ve made like that. Have used either bottled or tap water with Campden tabs since, but I don’t know if that would have helped. I’ll try another one in a month or so... hoping it gets better!! I had a Paulaner Munich Helles yesterday, which was delish though!! 3 for £5 at M&S.
Hello Surferosa I wonder if you would mind letting me know if your MJ Helles lager has improved? I have one in the FV at present and have never done it before. I was thinking of using only half of each of the two hop varieties when the time comes as it seems some find it too hoppy with the full amount used.

Hi Mick,

My batch finished fermenting a few weeks ago, I love it, very hoppy, I would say equivalent to Guiness hop house 13. I have already decided to make another batch in the summer. Just to warn you I chilled mine in a beer fridge after carbing and got quite a bit of chill haze that is slowly disappearing. All in all I am a big fan of this brew, I made it as per this instructions, I think I fermented down at about 16.5 degrees c without any porblems.

Hi Mick,

My batch finished fermenting a few weeks ago, I love it, very hoppy, I would say equivalent to Guiness hop house 13. I have already decided to make another batch in the summer. Just to warn you I chilled mine in a beer fridge after carbing and got quite a bit of chill haze that is slowly disappearing. All in all I am a big fan of this brew, I made it as per this instructions, I think I fermented down at about 16.5 degrees c without any porblems.

Hi Wayno thanks for that and most useful. I note the yeast ferments at ale temp and mine is being kept as close to 20°c as I can manage and will be in for two weeks at least as I am away. The target f.g. is apparently 1014 so would be interested to learn what you got yours down to?

I can't actually remember, but would have been around the 1.010 mark. It's californian lager yeast so is OK to ferment at 20 degrees, I set mine off around 19 but turned the temp down bit by bit and it kept on fermenting fine, I didn't want to go any lower and risk stalling it. I found it a tiny bit cloudier than the kits I'd done previously, but this cleared up in the bottles during carbonation (then came back as chill haze when I chilled them further). Don't forget to let the fg get down to around 1.018 before adding the dry hops. I just dumped the whole bag in.

Here's a pic from a clear bottle

Attachments

• 15827393255872450643192561909504.jpg
    15827393255872450643192561909504.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 293
I can't actually remember, but would have been around the 1.010 mark. It's californian lager yeast so is OK to ferment at 20 degrees, I set mine off around 19 but turned the temp down bit by bit and it kept on fermenting fine, I didn't want to go any lower and risk stalling it. I found it a tiny bit cloudier than the kits I'd done previously, but this cleared up in the bottles during carbonation (then came back as chill haze when I chilled them further). Don't forget to let the fg get down to around 1.018 before adding the dry hops. I just dumped the whole bag in.
Thanks again and most useful. I recently put a tap on my FV and was intending to fill bottles from that with my bottling stick but if it is a bottom fermenting yeast I wonder whether more trub than usual will be at the bottom and laborious siphoning would be preferable?

It all depends how low your tap is, my trub wasn't excessively deep {picture attached) . I suppose you'll just have to make a judgement call at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_173203.jpg
    IMG_20200128_173203.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 221
Mine’s not great, brewed as per the instructions, finished at 1011, added the hops for a couple of days at the end, perhaps it would have tasted better/a bit more hoppy if I’d added sooner? Maybe more like hop house too? Mine didn’t!... it’s ok though. Made about 4 months ago I think.

I think I left mine in for 6 days, maybe I got lucky or you got unlucky. I'm picking up another pouch at the weekend so it's in the queue for the fv

Latest posts

Back