Mangrove Jack's Irish Red ale yer wha?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Err, hmm. Brewed this recently in the hope that I was gonna get that something special that I've not had lately from extract brews. Especially the Godzawa ones which have been very disappointing of late.

So I turned to a tried and trusted old favourite - Mangrove Jack's. I'd been after a red ale all summer and thought I'd give this a go, so I split it given that I've had a bad selection of hops that went with the kit of which I had no choice but to try.

So I split the brew into two. And boy I am glad I did. Ok, it's only cheap. But fgs, will some of you peeps who are selling this **** leave it alone with the hops unless you know wth it is you are drinking. The hops that go with this kit are Vom to say the least. Tart, overpowering on the ale, in fact, where is the ale? All I taste is fecking hops. I know hops are rather chic, vogue or whatever with some people's taste buds. But fgs, can you just leave it be and brew a decent extract without the need for hops overkill. IT'S THE BEER THAT COUNTS NOT THE EFFING HOPS FFS!!

Thank god I deliberately split my brews into to two. Else the whole lot would have been chucked down the sink. This is not a review, this is my opinion and my waste of cash. Brewing this on its own with a dry hop addition as it requests you do do, please don't. Leave the hops - bin em, feed em to rats, pigeons or what ever, not fit for human consumption. No hop addition. You get a slightly sweet brew that is pleasant on the palate. If you wanna be sick on the other hand, by all means, add these disgusting hops that come with the kit. Ewww is an understatement :C

Last edited:
Why no more AG for me? Umm it's not no more. It's just that I feel I got my **** bitten by those that recommended a burco boiler and then needing to buy more equipment for that said burco so it doesn't cut out. Ankou is right on every level on this matter for me at least. I was tempted to buy a brewzilla, but surely this is just a burco boiler on crack imo. /Salute Ankou, gas 4tw =)

Latest posts

Back