Mangrove Jacks Irish Stout February Giveaway

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I put this on last week. It went berserk after 24 hours and pushed the lid off the FV, it then settled down and has now almost stalled at about 1.025 ish. It's cool, goes between 17 at night and 19 in the day but there's still activity so I'll just leave it and take a gravity reading mid next week.

Edit: I meant 17, not 7, I've changed it now

Last edited:
So I left this for a few days. There is no visible krausen, in fact all of the yeast has dropped but it is clearly still fermenting as there is activity. It's now dropped to 1.014 with a week to go. I've never used M42 before so don't really know what to expect. M36 develops a thin krausen then drops. I'm used to using 1318 and 1469 which linger forever.

Anyway, it tastes good, and I'm relieved.

Used MJ Beer Enhancer 2, which B2B were offering at half usual price. So total kit price for both worked out about same as for a Festival kit.

Achieved OG of 1.046. I'm expecting target FG of around 1.009 (which I think should deliver the advertised 5% ABV).

FV's been at a pretty constant 20degC since pitching. Initial lag phase short with airlock activity apparent within about 6 hours.

Fermentation went nuclear for a couple of days pushing krausen through airlock. So I upgraded airlock to blow-off tube. It's now steady, so back to airlock.

Expect I'll test in next few days once bubbling activity slows right down, and if SG at or around 1.015 will dry hop for last 5 days in FV.

I'll bulk prime for bottles. Probably with about 80-100g dextrose, aiming for carb of around 2.0 vol CO2 (but not properly worked that out yet).
Progress report...

Just tested MJ Dry Irish Stout SG. (Day 9 in FV at a pretty constant 20degC).

SG now dropped to SG1.010 (from OG1.046) - much further down line than I thought it would be. Working on a target FG of around 1.009, so have dry-hopped with the included pack of 20g Goldings loose in FV.

Already tastes promising! Noticeably dry, well rounded, and very sessionable.

Will leave to dry-hop in FV for about 5 more days, then bottle.

This should hopefully allow a further two weeks worth of bottle-conditioning to be ready just in time for St Paddy's Day!

Last edited:
Progress report...

SG now dropped to SG1.010 (from OG1.046) - much further down line than I thought it would be. Working on a target FG of around 1.009, so have dry-hopped with the included pack of 20g Goldings loose in FV.

This should hopefully allow a further two weeks worth of bottle-conditioning to be ready just in time for St Paddy's Day!
Looking forward to getting mine started,nice updates.

It was drawn on 9 Feb see below -

Morning Guys..

I hope everyone is well? I know we had planned to announce the winners yesterday but we definitely didn't forget until this morning...….

We have two winners which are...

@jeg3
@Markk

If you want to fire me through a message chaps with all your details we will have those sent out to you right away.. If you could also be so generous to share feedback with us on taste and brewing experience etc we would be very appreciative of that.

Congrats.

https://brew2

Progress report...

Update...

Just bottled MJ Dry Irish Stout, on Day 16 in FV (at constant 20degC).

Achieved FG of 1.009, from OG of 1.046 (i.e. ABV of 5%).

Dry-hopped from Day 9. (Could probably have packaged from couple of days ago, as SG static and brew clear w/ trub well settled, but wanted to get most from dry-hops)

Bulk primed for 500ml bottles w/ 90g dextrose in 250ml water. Aiming for 1.8 vol CO2, (think style range is 1.5-2.0 vol?)

Brew tastes very promising indeed - even pre-conditioned! Already has really well-rounded depth of flavour. Complex with noticeable but not overpowering spice tones from Goldings addition.

Not sure how patient I'm going to be able to be with this one! Managed to yield 45 x 500ml plus a 250ml. All bottles now in crates beside radiator to condition for next two weeks.

Think latter 'half-pint' bottle may be lucky if it survives a full week!

Last edited:
Update...

Just bottled MJ Dry Irish Stout, on Day 16 in FV (at constant 20degC).

Achieved FG of 1.009, from OG of 1.046 (i.e. ABV of 5%).

Dry-hopped from Day 9. (Could probably have packaged from couple of days ago, as SG static and brew clear w/ trub well settled, but wanted to get most from dry-hops)

Bulk primed for 500ml bottles w/ 90g dextrose in 250ml water. Aiming for 1.8 vol CO2, (think style range is 1.5-2.0 vol?)

Brew tastes very promising indeed - even pre-conditioned! Already has really well-rounded depth of flavour. Complex with noticeable but not overpowering spice tones from Goldings addition.

Not sure how patient I'm going to be able to be with this one! Managed to yield 45 x 500ml plus a 250ml. All bottles now in crates beside radiator to condition for next two weeks.

Think latter 'half-pint' bottle may be lucky if it survives a full week!
Bottling mine this evening. OG & FG identical.

Nice one Poddy,my pilsner has another week in fermenter then will get mine going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back