Mangrove jacks juicy maybe infected.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andybiker

Reaction score
just opened my Juicy IPA to add hops after 8 days and it looks and smells decidedly iffy!

Smells very fruity but not in good way really.

20200531_144811.jpg

Still covered in a thick layer ot krausen which I would have expected to have gone by now.

What do you guys think. First couple of days it got too hot really.
Had a wet towel around it since and that's kept it around 22 degrees.

Smells pretty funky TBH.

I work on the basis that whilst it's still fermenting the fermentation CO2 can strip out some of the volatile oils which is the very thing you are trying to infuse into the beer. And in the overall scheme of things an extra few days matters not.
However each to their own athumb..

OK. I'll leave her be.

Gravity is around 1010 now. Surprised she's 1010 and still frothy though.

Thanks guys.

Had a quick look at this today and the krausen has dropped substantially :groupdancing:

I have just opened my MJ juicy ipa which is day 12 and had similar looking Krausen. However Gravity is 1.012 so I was happy to put the hops in and plan to bottle on Sunday.

I must say the smell (and taste from the gravity reading) was absolutely devine.

I think mine will be ready for hops tonight, i'm around day 12 too. I'll hop tonight and bottle on Sunday (or maybe Tuesday if i decide to Cold crash) probably wont Cold Crash as the bits will drop out later anyway.

Back