Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA imminent, priming question arising.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowrider

Reaction score
20201106_160832.jpg

First brew going well so far and thinking about next week, the soldiers are beginning to line up ready for duty next week.... priming question arising as it is my first time (in a long time). I intend to use table sugar. Having read alot of info on this site this morning on this subject, some that I cannot begin to say I understand at this stage.
So to simplify, Using table sugar into 500ml bottles, will 3g per bottle be too much?
Thanks

I will be joining you in the (delicious) trenches next week as well- I’ll be bottling my MJ juicy ipa in 500ml bottles with 3g of table sugar (I did 4g last time and it was a bit too fizzy).

It’s a great kit - hope you enjoy

Thank you for the support! I hope I don't spoil my work to date.

Might do another Juicy IPA tomorrow but I have the MJ Brut IPA in stock and that was good last time, so undecided, I was going to do an AG brew but I'm tinkering with my car at the moment and can do an AG in the week athumb..

Might do another Juicy IPA tomorrow but I have the MJ Brut IPA in stock and that was good last time, so undecided, I was going to do an AG brew but I'm tinkering with my car at the moment and can do an AG in the week athumb..
Hi Banbeer
Well the reading for the last 3 days is 1012.... MJ specify a finishing SG of 1010 but doesnt look like I will get there. As you have done this one before, does that sound right to you?

Hi @Lowrider, yes that sounds good to me, if it's consistant over the three days it aint going any lower, I brewed mine last Saturday with an OG of 1.052 so I would expect around the 1.010 - 1.012 mark depending on fermentables of course.

I've used carbonation drops recently (only because I got them as part of a package offer) and I believe they are 3g. I've been using one per bottle and the carbonation has been fine.

I've used carbonation drops recently (only because I got them as part of a package offer) and I believe they are 3g. I've been using one per bottle and the carbonation has been fine.
They work well, I still have some unopened that were part of a bundle (I now use cornies) they're glucose opposed to sucrose.

When sterilising everything before bottling, should you sterilise the caps also?

So I held off for 3 days as I wasnt happy with my sterilising of the bottles and had to wait until some Chemsan came through in the post. Btw, it had sat 1012 on the fri-sun when I was going to bottle, but with the 3 day delay, SF at bottling had made it to 1010.......

Got as ready as I was ever going to be and set about the priming, bottling and capping, with my good lady providing the necessary extra hands to complete the task ( actually dont think I would have succeeded without her, sshhh wink... ). Anyway, got 39 500ml bottles now into carbonation phase.

Although the smell was good, it was still very cloudy in appearance. so a few questions.

Is that to be expected or have I stuffed it up in someway. Will it clear down in 4 to 5 weeks?

If it remains cloudy, is it ok to drink, or should I bin the batch and start again?

With thanks to all for answers along the way.

It should clear. When you pour the first bottle, do it with some light behind it and you should see the 'white' clump of yeast at the bottom of the bottle make its way down the bottle as you pour. Stop pouring before this gets into your glass (normally leaves about 10mm in the bottom of the bottle which you just get rid of). With your beer in a cooler place, the yeast will be dropping to the bottom of the bottles and will then clump together.

Once I move my bottles to the cold, I try and leave them for 2 months if I can. It takes a lot of patience, but I've found it gives me better beer. I'd say try one after a month and see how it looks. It may not clear completely, but cloudy beer is not going to do you any harm - if it tastes good, drink it! The Juicy Session IPA is a cracking pint.

+1 for @GhostShip's recommendations, must admit tho' never left it more than a couple of weeks after carbing TBH and it still stays a little murky but I don't mind as this is usually hop debris. Packaging mine tomorrow into a corny and 4 x 500ml bottles. athumb..

I have to confess to even less patience, and tried one yesterday, a week after bottling. Faint degree of carbonation and quite a raw initial taste, but when I try my next in 3 weeks time (1 more week in warm and 2 in the cellar) i know it will be another fantastic batch.

I started drinking mine after 3 weeks from ope the pouches... I liked the fresh taste and had plenty of carbonation in the bottles. I don’t think that this ages that well in the bottle... it definitely starts to go downhill in hoppiness inter 5 - 6 weeks

Back