Mangrove Jacks Kveik IPA Stuck Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkfish

Reaction score
I started this extract kit 5 days ago with a 1kg of dextrose. After the first day or so i added hops and could see that the fermentation had been very active. (Had a blow of tube that showed krausen) but by day 3 it had stalled. Checked gravity using a refractometer and it is 1.035 and needs a FG of 1.009. I rocked it back and forth to try and restart it and upped temp from 30c to 32.5c. at day 5 its still only reading at 1.030. Just wanting some advice? I only used one packet so not sure wether to add the other yeast that came in the kit? thanks

I located the kit instructions online and, interestingly, they mention only one yeast sachet - "Add the contents of the yeast sachet", i.e. singular. It's possible they may have started supplying two sachets with the kit since the instructions were written because of reports of stuck fermentations. That being the case, one would generally pitch both yeast sachets on day one but, as it is, I don't see why you shouldn't just pitch the other one now (I'm assuming they are both the same type of yeast!). Others brewers more experienced with extract kits will hopefully be able to confirm or deny!

ETA: I just noticed you made mention of measuring gravity with a refractometer which will be giving you an incorrect reading. The reading will only be accurate up until you pitch the yeast, at which point the alcohol begins to skew the reading. Online calculators are available to correct the reading, or a hydrometer will give you the correct gravity straight off.

Last edited:
Thanks guys il take another reading tomorrow. I found a calculator on northern brewer and from memory it says it may be closer to 1.018 which is closer to the target FG than I thought. Il let you know my findings. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back