Mangrove Jack's Kveik Yeast M12

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kc

Reaction score
Would be interested to know peoples experience with the MJ's Kveik Yeast. I don't have temperature control during fermentation and think the s-04 and US-05 brews I did recently were getting up to 25/26°C.

Really didn't like brews made with s-04 and US-05 above ~22°C is this to be expected?

Anyone used MJ's and had good results in pales ales/IPA at around 25°C?

As far as I remember mine stalled or slowed down at 25 had to bring it back up to 30 to speed it up

I think but could be wrong that this is repackaged Lallemand (which I’ve used alongside CML Voss which is also likely repackaged Lallemand), either way all three are Voss. One issue with it I find is that while it will ferment at 25°C you are going on the low side it will finish but will take a week to ten days at this kind of temperature, and if it gets much below 25°C it can start to stall. If you can I would say insulate your fermentor even consider a heat pad, you can push Voss up to 40°C and still get good results. Kveik is not a magic bullet but it can produce excellent beers at high temperatures.

I’ve fermented with both Voss and Hornindial.

To get it to finish quick I pitched at 40C and then insulated the FV with a camping mat and sleeping bag. It finishes in a few days then.

I think the stouts I made worked well, but the pale ales lacked hoppiness. This may be something wrong with my method though judging by the number of Voss pale ale recipes around.

Ive done my first with Lallemand kviek voss during the mini-heatwave temp was 26-31 so at the lower end early sample taster is good with hints of orange marmalade - It had 8 days in the fv with a dry hop of day 4 when the fermentation had slowed down.

I’ve fermented with both Voss and Hornindial.

To get it to finish quick I pitched at 40C and then insulated the FV with a camping mat and sleeping bag. It finishes in a few days then.

I think the stouts I made worked well, but the pale ales lacked hoppiness. This may be something wrong with my method though judging by the number of Voss pale ale recipes around.
I did find that the orange marmalade flavour from the yeast came through very strongly at first but did seem to fade a bit into the background for me (this was on a batch of bitter). It’s a nice yeast but it’s defiantly not a neutral yeast.

I don’t think it’s available dry but WHC Ubbe Kweik does provide a pretty neutral flavour.

That's hot and it's at the low-end of the recommended temp! My upstairs gets that high but only there.
Desert yeast.
MY LHBS sells it for $8-plus and I checked out its specs. Looks like a fun yeast to work with.
I’ve found that if you pitch at 40°C and insulate fairly well (in my case a couple of batch towels wrapped round the fermentor you can easily keep it at about 10°C above ambient with how rapid the fermentation is it’s generating a lot of heat, throw in a small pad heater and I was able to ferment at 38°C despite the room temperature only being about 21°C.

I’ve found that if you pitch at 40°C and insulate fairly well (in my case a couple of batch towels wrapped round the fermentor you can easily keep it at about 10°C above ambient with how rapid the fermentation is it’s generating a lot of heat, throw in a small pad heater and I was able to ferment at 38°C despite the room temperature only being about 21°C.
It's funny that usually most of the effort is in keeping the fermenter temperature down. I like the idea of the fruit flavors given off by that yeast--sound great in a Belgian triple.
Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back