Mangrove Jack's M15 Empire Ale Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
Put my first brew on since January last weekend, Adnams Broadside from GW's book.

I had a pack of M15 Empire Ale yeast that's been in the brew box for a few months and did some googling and found lots of anecdotes about low attenuation.

Well anyway, I checked it yesterday 4 days in and it's down to 1.012 from 1.048, so I'm quite pleased. Attenuation 74%. I fermented at 22C throughout, so it's quite fruity

I checked this again last night, it's been in the FV 11 days now and is still at 1.012.

Initial taste is really smooth with low hop aroma but moderate bitterness (only had one bittering addition and a post boil addition).

The mouthfeel is sublime, even though it's not conditioned. I'm putting it in the PB on Sunday, I can't wait for it to condition...

Very happy with this yeast so far

They say the same about Windsor re attenuation. But a recent brew with said yeast went from 1054 to 1010, and despite its reputation for slow clearing, it was star-bright after a week in the bottle and tastes amazing. Just takes a little common sense and knowhow to tame it! Think I'll try MJ's Empire too, see how it stacks up.

I fermented at 22C throughout, which may have had an effect

My strategy for dealing with Windsor... mash low, chuck in 450g golden syrup, ferment 14 days at 19C and cold-crash for a week. Worked a treat - no attenuation or clearing woes but all the yummy taste of Windsor!

Bumping this thread 'cos I've got a brew on with M15 and it's still going strong after 21days in the FV. Bit of a lag starting as usual with MJ yeasts, it's down to 1010 but there's still a bit of foam and bubbles coming up. I had hoped to bottle last weekend, and then this weekend, but this yeast it outsmarting me.

Any thoughts?

Bumping this thread 'cos I've got a brew on with M15 and it's still going strong after 21days in the FV. Bit of a lag starting as usual with MJ yeasts, it's down to 1010 but there's still a bit of foam and bubbles coming up. I had hoped to bottle last weekend, and then this weekend, but this yeast it outsmarting me.

Any thoughts?
Hi,
Is the density still changing? Try to get a couple of measures 2 to 3 days appart and if you get the same reading it means fermentation is finished. Airlock/bubbles activity per se does not mean that fermentation is ongoing, it can be the dissolved CO2 escaping.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back