Mangrove Jacks M44 yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig007red

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this? Ive got a beer in the fermenter at the moment and I,ve pitched this into it and progress is very slow with it.

It's not exactly gone off like a rocket and after 36 hours there's very little activity.

I'm hoping it picks up a little.

Yip, very slow. Mine took 36 hours or so. Then rose to the occasion, then pulled back after a few days. Left it for 12 days and it attenuated and flocked well. That was with an SG of around ~1.058.

Cheers everyone, mind at rest now, just checked it and there's a smidgen of bubbling and a slight krausen.

Not used the packet I've got in the fridge, thought it was a substitute for US-05, but I see it's not the same. Lots of comments on the web about lag times of up to 72 hours. Many recommend you pitch 2 sachets, but that makes it a bit pricey. When I do come to use it, I'll be sure to rehydrate it first. that should solve the problem.

In hindsight if I'd have done anything differently it would have been to rehydrate it before pitching.

Update:- It seems to have slowed right down again.

In hindsight if I'd have done anything differently it would have been to rehydrate it before pitching.

Update:- It seems to have slowed right down again.
Keep it warm and sing to it.
The singing won't do any good, but you'll feel better. See what it's like in the morning.
Bloddy Nora, I've just read the stuff on your avatar. Are they for real?

Keep it warm and sing to it.
The singing won't do any good, but you'll feel better. See what it's like in the morning.
Bloddy Nora, I've just read the stuff on your avatar. Are they for real?
Its wrapped in a towel in a cupboard reading 21 degrees but I'm a terrible singer!!:D

Yep there for real, I was in a bar in York last year called the trembling madness and i asked the guy serving if the sign was genuine he replied "100% real beers them" ashock1

Not used the packet I've got in the fridge, thought it was a substitute for US-05, but I see it's not the same. Lots of comments on the web about lag times of up to 72 hours. Many recommend you pitch 2 sachets, but that makes it a bit pricey. When I do come to use it, I'll be sure to rehydrate it first. that should solve the problem.

Put a couple of grams into a 1.200L starter. That'll give you stacks of yeast

M44 is probably a repack of Lallemand BRY-97 which is notorious as having perhaps the longest lag of any mainstream yeast. It's just part of its "personality".

I agree long lag used it twice once in the grapefruit ipa kit they do & once in a partial that I did. I prefer 05 for my IPAs as it seems to give a brighter cleaner hop forward ale to me.

Well here's the finished article. A little over carbonated and a tad bitter so Ill know to go easier on the hops next time but the smell and mouthfeel are really good. Finished up at 5.4% ABV.
IMG_E0325.JPG

Yes it is. The picture doesn’t really do it justice because of the crappy quality of an iPhone camera.

I have found that it is a good yeast but takes a heck of a time to get started. I'm always worried that I might have to repitch and then it takes off like a rocket. I find it starts showing a little krausen sometime between the 36 and 48 hour mark!

The last time I used it, the pack was a couple of months out of date (but had been kept in the fridge). It took nearly 48 hours to start but fermented out from 1.050 to 1.002!!

Looking in my mangroves yeast booklet, it is best suited to high alcohol ales and hoppy ales temp range 18 to 23c, I would leave at least another week take a reading and cold crash for a few days, why rush what could be an good brew acheers.

I used this yeast for the first time last week in a Citra pale ale. I would normally use S-05 but that was out of stock where I was getting the grain from so I ordered the M44 instead thinking it would be much the same. I didn’t notice any lag at all. In fact I had the airlock going after only a few hours. The main thing, however, is that it has caused quite a volcano effect in my brew fridge. I’ve had a few clogged air locks when I’ve made 23 litres in my 25l FV but never had any issues when it’s been filled to 20-21 litre, until now. I’ve been brewing for just over a year now and never had anything burst through the lid of my FV like this has.

I pitched a pack of M44 yesterday evening into my Chinook APA - didn't reydrate, just added it dry straight into the FV of aerated wort (10L batch though).

I was aiming to pitch at 22-23degC but missed and ended up pitching at 20degC. From I'd read here and elsewhere on the web I was aware it has a reputation for being laggy..... not a bit of it. When I came downstairs this morning (12hrs after pitching) it was starting to tick over, and now 24hrs after pitching the airlock is in full overdive! acheers.

Latest posts

Back