Mangrove Jacks M54 at lower temperatures

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
I know the point of M54 is that you can make lagers at higher temperatures, but has anyone tried brewing with it at lower temperatures (16C and below) and if so how did it compare with higher temperature brews.
I want to get two lagerish beers on in the next week or so and I’ve got a packet of M54 and a packet of safale K97. They will be going in to the same brew fridge, so wanted to ferment at 16C so the kolsch doesn’t get too fruity. Will one pack of M54 be enough for a 1050 brew at 16C?

Their specifications of course say that recommended minimum is 18° C. This would mean that it or might not work.

However, I see that your temperature will be constant. I have seen from other yeast specifications (Lallemand or Fermentis I think), that recommended does not mean absolute minimum or absolute maximum.

Try it, but indeed, double the needed amount of M54 because of this lower temperature.

Yes think you're right. I'll order another pack of M54 to make sure

I've used this at 15C. It's nice and clean and makes a nice pseudo lager. Make sure you use double the amount. Also it takes a long time to get going so dont freak out
That's good to know. I'll give it a try.

Back