Mangrove Jack's M54 California Lager fermented hot!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrhandsome

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've had a bit of a disaster. I accidentally pitched the yeast for my latest brew at 27°C with no way of cooling it down and now it's chugging away at 25°C a day later.

The damage is already done, but has anyone else used M54 at high temperatures, and what was the result? I know California steam lager is fermented warm so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

Life got the better of me again so I've only just bottled this beer today (got some time off due to self isolating). I figured letting it sit for longer would give the yeast more time to clean up anyway.

I've lost my sense of taste and smell so I had the wife on hand for quality control purposes. The verdict - it tastes sort of like a chocolate/coffee stout, but not, and nothing off about it apart from it being warm and flat. It's a Munich Dunkel so I'll take that!

That's good, I hadn't noticed this thread earlier bit if i had i would have said that in the summer my wife turned off the fridge outside whilst my lager was fermenting inside, temp got up to 26 or so. The beer whilst quite bland is fine, I'm not sure I can blame the blandness on the temp rise. 😆

That's good, I hadn't noticed this thread earlier bit if i had i would have said that in the summer my wife turned off the fridge outside whilst my lager was fermenting inside, temp got up to 26 or so. The beer whilst quite bland is fine, I'm not sure I can blame the blandness on the temp rise. 😆
We all have had beers that inexplicably turned out meh 😅

Two weeks before I find out if this one's at least drinkable. Maybe a prolonged period of shed lagering will in order.

Cracked one of these today and I remembered this thread...
PXL_20220115_160322796.jpg

My wife was right, it's got some stout elements to it, roast, chocolate and coffee. There's a decent amount of breadyness and a slightly sharp finish too.

And the main thing... No off tastes from the yeast!

Edit: it's also not as dark as it appears, it's crystal clear and a deep garnet red.

Latest posts

Back