Quantcast

Mangrove Jacks M76

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Just about to place an order on get'er brewed and was considering getting a few packets of M76. Never tred it before. Any recommendations?

If so what's the best temperature to go with and do you need to pitch two packets at low temps?

chthon

Landlord.
Reaction score
I used it for brewing bocks. It is a nice yeast. I have always used a temperature between 10° and 12° C for fermentation. After fermentation, I put it for a couple of days at room temperature to get rid of diacetyl. I also lagered them for a couple of weeks in a cold environment to make sure that the yeast is really dropped out. I used a whole sachet for 8l, so that would probably work out to two sachets for 20 litre somethings.

AlDaviz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi
I’ve not used the M76 but I’ve used the m84 a couple of times and it worked well, i tend to add 2x packets as I’m normally fermenting 20-25 litres.
lately I’ve started using the M54 Californian lager, I can’t taste any difference !!
All the Mangrove jacks yeasts seem to work quite predictably.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
I used it for brewing bocks. It is a nice yeast. I have always used a temperature between 10° and 12° C for fermentation. After fermentation, I put it for a couple of days at room temperature to get rid of diacetyl. I also lagered them for a couple of weeks in a cold environment to make sure that the yeast is really dropped out. I used a whole sachet for 8l, so that would probably work out to two sachets for 20 litre somethings.
Sounds nice. I was thinking of brewing a bock. I'll give it a try then. Cheers!

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi
I’ve not used the M76 but I’ve used the m84 a couple of times and it worked well, i tend to add 2x packets as I’m normally fermenting 20-25 litres.
lately I’ve started using the M54 Californian lager, I can’t taste any difference !!
Yeah I've been using M54 quite a lot recently too. In a steam beer first off, then warm fermented lagers and pale ales. It's just a nice clean, reliable yeast. Might give the M84 a go too.

Northern_Brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
General thinking is that M76 is either Diamond Lager or 34/70, so it should be fairly forgiving of being fermented at closer to ale temperatures.

See this for how 34/70 responds to higher temperatures.

jeg3

Regular.
Reaction score
I used two packs of M76 for a Munich Dunkel a couple of years ago, the first pitched at 20degC, the second at 12degC 24 hours later.

It then spent 17 days at 12degC, then 2 days at 20 degC for a diacetyl rest then 4 days at 1degC.

My one and only lager and it was superb

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
I made a Vienna lager with 50/50 Pilsner/Vienna malt. 22L at 1050. I split this batch in to two 11L brews and pitched one with a packet of M76 Bavarian Lager yeast and the other with a packet of M84 Bohemian Lager yeast. The yeasts were hydrated and then both pitched and fermented at 10C, with temperature increased to 18C after a week for a diacetyl rest. I transferred off the yeast in to kegs after two weeks and they have had another couple of weeks lagering in the kegs. Wouldn't normally do this but wanted the yeast cakes to make my next brews. The M76 tastes great! Nice malty crisp lager and crystal clear. The M84 has got a huge green apple hit. Acetaldehyde. I haven't had a problem with this for years.

Does anyone know if this is common with M84 yeast and more importantly - will this lager out?

cossie.j

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a Vienna lager with 50/50 Pilsner/Vienna malt. 22L at 1050. I split this batch in to two 11L brews and pitched one with a packet of M76 Bavarian Lager yeast and the other with a packet of M84 Bohemian Lager yeast. The yeasts were hydrated and then both pitched and fermented at 10C, with temperature increased to 18C after a week for a diacetyl rest. I transferred off the yeast in to kegs after two weeks and they have had another couple of weeks lagering in the kegs. Wouldn't normally do this but wanted the yeast cakes to make my next brews. The M76 tastes great! Nice malty crisp lager and crystal clear. The M84 has got a huge green apple hit. Acetaldehyde. I haven't had a problem with this for years.

Does anyone know if this is common with M84 yeast and more importantly - will this lager out?
I had the same problem with the M84 a little while back. I left it in the keg for 6 weeks before sampling, and I had that same off flavor from it! The beer dropped so clear and bright but that flavor didn’t go? After 3 months in the keg i give up and poured it down the sink. Maybe i was just being impatient

chthon

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have used the M84 too for bock, and I handled it the same as the M76: ferment around 10°-12°, then after two weeks a couple of days at 16° C, then lager for a month to six weeks. No weird tastes.

But wait: due to the long lagering I don't take my chances, and use CBC-1 bottling yeast, then get it to condition at room temperature (both for the M76 and M84). That might be the difference.

darrellm

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apart from M15 Empire Ale Yeast, I've had some really high FGs / poor attentuation with that one, last beer only went from OG 1051 -> FG 1025 with M15.

But I'm a fan of all their other yeasts I've tried.

jeg3

Regular.
Reaction score
Apart from M15 Empire Ale Yeast, I've had some really high FGs / poor attentuation with that one, last beer only went from OG 1051 -> FG 1025 with M15.

But I'm a fan of all their other yeasts I've tried.
I had two cases of massive overcarbonation using M15, once in a king keg which blew the pressure relief valve in the cap and once in bottles which all gushed on opening. In my case it appeared to continue fermenting long after it reached a rather high FG. Neither were infected, as they tasted great, but I'd never use the yeast again.

IN the case of the bottles it was a porter, and cleaning up the mess was a PITA.

Latest posts