Mangrove Jacks M76

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a member of the airlock sniffers club, I found myself giving it a few more whiffs this evening and it’s just really stinky, like rotten eggs.

But after a quick Google search, it seems this is common with lagers and is just the production of hydrogen sulfide by the yeast. As this is my first lager after an entire back catalogue of ales, I had no idea.

Every day is a learning day!

I think you're fine, just need to be much more patient.

You we’re totally right - the sulphurous odour completely cleared up and it now smells and tastes wonderful! It still has the diacetyl rest and the lagering period yet to go but, if it smells and tastes this good now, it’s going to be legendary in a few weeks’ time!

I used M76 recently for the first time.
Went great. Just did 2 brews and used it again.
Each time I pitched 2 pkts (dry) into well aerated wort at as close to 10 - 11 degs C as I could get...

This was the fermentation profile of my brew with this yeast. Definitely a full 10 days at a very linear rate until about 1.013 where it very slowly got down to about 1.010 after another three or four days.

Attachments

• ED6EA02E-5BC7-4063-9666-203216EB0A25.jpeg
    ED6EA02E-5BC7-4063-9666-203216EB0A25.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 19
Back