Mangrove Jacks Partial Mash Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm off to pick one of these up today,my LHBS has stocked them for a while now and they look like a really good product.Just can't make my mind up which to chose as they all appeal to me. Will let you know how I get on :thumb:

Went for the IPA kit, looking forward to doing it as I've never done a partial mash - always done 2 can kits so this should be 'interesting'. I only have a small stock pot, hopefully it will be big enough, if I enjoy it I'll get a bigger pot

WHat a fantastic looking packaged kit!

Although surley that is an extract with specialty grains rather than partial mash? I know that sounds pedantic :oops:

I'm used to doing Festival and Young's 2 can kits and this is definitely the best package of any kit I've done.

2 packets of hops, 2 packets of yeast, 3 kg of malt, 500g sugar,350g of grain and a muslin bag.

Will let you know how I get on, hopefully I won't make a complete mess out of it

If I hadn't taken the leap to AG this would excite me! As an aside, I used a MJ yeast for the first time at the weekend and was very impressed at how quickly it started working - I had a krausen in less than 24 hours for the first time ever!

Went for the IPA kit, looking forward to doing it as I've never done a partial mash - always done 2 can kits so this should be 'interesting'. I only have a small stock pot, hopefully it will be big enough, if I enjoy it I'll get a bigger pot

Not meaning to be pissy, but that's an APA kit, not an IPA kit. APA tends to be more balanced between malt and hops, whereas an IPA (or AIPA to really confuse things) tends to be a lot more hop forward.

So in that kit for example, you have the Munich and Crystal which will give you some body and sweetness to balance those hops.

That looks a nice kit actually and those MG yeasts are great, dead reliable.

To be honest I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between an APA + IPA,so I'm probably not the right bloke to review it :grin:
It was just an interesting looking kit that I'd been meaning to try for a while, plus it makes a change to doing the can kits
Cheers

Interesting though it mentions on the picture that you need a 20L brew pot and presumably a means to heat it. That's almost a big as a fermenting vessel and therefore I'd be more confident if I had a proper boiler (e.g. a Pico Boiler).

Will watch with interest :thumb:

WHat a fantastic looking packaged kit!

Although surley that is an extract with specialty grains rather than partial mash? I know that sounds pedantic :oops:

Just to out pedantic you, seeing as though munich malt is a base malt as well as some crystal, I'd say it's a partial mash plus extract :tongue: (pendants red face smilie too :oops:)

But overall it looks like a well put together kit.

This is a very good looking offer, however named. It will make very decent beer indeed, for sure.

Exactly the sort of way into small scale AG brews that can be added to a one can kit, with very good results, or bottled on their own.

Doing something like this uses many of the steps involved and builds confidence for the small step to the so-called dark side of All Grain brewing.

Good Luck! :thumb:

Interesting though it mentions on the picture that you need a 20L brew pot and presumably a means to heat it. That's almost a big as a fermenting vessel and therefore I'd be more confident if I had a proper boiler (e.g. a Pico Boiler).

Will watch with interest :thumb:

Most tea urns are 20L - like mine.

It looks like a good way in to AG as Slid says, and as all you need is in the box there is less chance of mucking it up.
Am I right in thinking they are using a sparaymalt as the base and just the speciality grains to tweak it in the right direction? - So a smaller grainbill?

Been really busy with work but hopefully will have a bit of spare time tomorrow so will update if I manage to crack on with it :thumb:

Righto the brew is bubbling but I'm unsure on the instructions
they say-

Add bittering hops, after 30 minutes add flavouring hops and boil for a further 30 minutes

then it says to let the wort boil for 60 minutes

Is this a further 60 minutes on top of the 60 minutes it's been boiling for or just the one initial 1 hour boil??

god, i'm confused

Righto the brew is bubbling but I'm unsure on the instructions
they say-

Add bittering hops, after 30 minutes add flavouring hops and boil for a further 30 minutes

then it says to let the wort boil for 60 minutes

Is this a further 60 minutes on top of the 60 minutes it's been boiling for or just the one initial 1 hour boil??

god, i'm confused

eh? Usually a boil is 60mins long (can be 90 but rarely longer). The bittering hops are added at this point. Flavouring hops are usually added at 15-20min and less.

Can you post a piccy of the instructions?

Ok, for according to those instructions your doing a 60/30/0 hop schedule so 60mins for bitters 30 mins for flavour and a 0 addition for flavour/aroma. It says aroma but a 0 min addition give flavour and some aroma (a dry hop is the opposite - aroma and some flavour).

It's interesting the kit is a 30 min mash. A shorter mash give as higher FG. But having said that forumite Albion reported a very high attenuation with MJ CaliLager yeast

The instructions that came with the kit were so bad that I ended up putting the aroma hops in after 30 minutes and boiling for another 30 minutes, I took it off the heat after 60 minutes but this was purely a guess. I'm not holding out much hope for this brew, can't even find out at what temperature I'm supposed to be fermenting at, it's not a cheap kit at £25 so more than a little ****** off at the ridiculous instructions. These are marketed as the next step up for kit brewers so should be idiot proof, this idiot didn't think so :twisted:

The instructions that came with the kit were so bad that I ended up putting the aroma hops in after 30 minutes and boiling for another 30 minutes, I took it off the heat after 60 minutes but this was purely a guess. I'm not holding out much hope for this brew, can't even find out at what temperature I'm supposed to be fermenting at, it's not a cheap kit at £25 so more than a little ****** off at the ridiculous instructions. These are marketed as the next step up for kit brewers so should be idiot proof, this idiot didn't think so :twisted:

Does the kit not just come with a Mangrove Jacks yeast? The only MJ yeast I ever used stated the temperature range, attenuation and floculation on the sachet. I wouldn't have thought it would have a significant cost benefit to stick unprinted sachets into these kits.

Edit - just spotted your photo of the box contents and it does appear that the yeast sachet is in plain packaging! Just stick to 18-20C as that seems to be "standard" for most yeasts.

Latest posts

Back