Mangrove Jacks Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Running short for Christmas, so stuck a kit on whilst doing my AG honey porter.

Liquid malt extract dosed with isomerized hop oil, 28g saaz, m54 lager yeast.

Used cashback and brew enhancer.

Chose to brew a little short. 20l at 1054. In fridge at 18C. Will hop at 7 days.

New thread started as no review showing.

Cheers

Martin
20181124_135554.jpg
20181124_135311.jpg

Running short for Christmas, so stuck a kit on whilst doing my AG honey porter.

Liquid malt extract dosed with isomerized hop oil, 28g saaz, m54 lager yeast.

Used cashback and brew enhancer.

Chose to brew a little short. 20l at 1054. In fridge at 18C. Will hop at 7 days.

New thread started as no review showing.

Cheers

MartinView attachment 16512 View attachment 16513
How much cashback did you mix in? :D

View attachment 16852 View attachment 16850 Bottled today. 30 x 425ml grolsch bottles, so got about 15l of beer. 1054 to 1010 gives 5.78%, add in priming and I'll call it 6%. Test jar promisingView attachment 16850
From about 20 litres down to about 15 litres is a lot to lose, even allowing for poorly calibrated FVs etc. Whilst there is always some loss due to the fermentation process I'm disappointed if I lose 2 litres out of 20+ litres, although its normally nearer 1 - 1.5 litres. Was there a reason for the 5 litre loss or did you indulge in a lot of sampling wink...

From about 20 litres down to about 15 litres is a lot to lose, even allowing for poorly calibrated FVs etc. Whilst there is always some loss due to the fermentation process I'm disappointed if I lose 2 litres out of 20+ litres, although its normally nearer 1 - 1.5 litres. Was there a reason for the 5 litre loss or did you indulge in a lot of sampling wink...

When I took the FV out of the fridge after cold crash g I had 19lt.

I think I did throw more than I perhaps needed to, but I was using my old FV with a siphon, rather than my newer ones with tap. I ran out of hands to juggle syphon stick, bottle, wand and tilt.

I did drink a pint though!

Cheers martin

When I took the FV out of the fridge after cold crash g I had 19lt.

I think I did throw more than I perhaps needed to, but I was using my old FV with a siphon, rather than my newer ones with tap. I ran out of hands to juggle syphon stick, bottle, wand and tilt.

I did drink a pint though!

Cheers martin
So true: an extra pair of hands during specific moments can reduce the loss by half.

Just put mine on last Wednesday, used Ashback water as well. Instruction says dry hop after 7 days, but not sure it will be ready for it. Will consult hydrometer. Plan is to leave it to mature for at least 2 month. Would it be ok to stick in a fridge after carbonation is done?
Lets hope this will work quite well, I brewing it for work party in July.
Most people are lager drinkers, so hope it will go down well.

Just put mine on last Wednesday, used Ashback water as well. Instruction says dry hop after 7 days, but not sure it will be ready for it. Will consult hydrometer. Plan is to leave it to mature for at least 2 month. Would it be ok to stick in a fridge after carbonation is done?
Lets hope this will work quite well, I brewing it for work party in July.
Most people are lager drinkers, so hope it will go down well.
If it's really good, tell them it went off and take them a case of Carling. Then you can enjoy the fruits of your genius at your leisure.

Well it has been a week and beer is still bubbling. But it has slowed down massively. I will leave it till it stops and than take reading, if it is stable, going to dry hop for 3 days than rack it. 2 weeks for carbonation and around 2 month for maturing should make it good hopefully.

After two weeks, I have dried hopped with provided Saaz hops, been there 3 days. Bottled today, but decided to make it bit less carbonated, done it to 2.0 CO2 volume. it taste good, not as bitter as I have expected, but it is still young. Will leave in bottles for around 2 months, maybe will try one bottle before that :)

Back