Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA Beer Kit + Free Enhancer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to resurrect thread. I just did this kit and forgot to do sg before adding yeast so flagged it. Anyone know what the sg is with the kit plus 1.2 mg's lme and 23l total. Not 100% accurate but just the average sg will help me make a guess.

Sorry to resurrect thread. I just did this kit and forgot to do sg before adding yeast so flagged it. Anyone know what the sg is with the kit plus 1.2 mg's lme and 23l total. Not 100% accurate but just the average sg will help me make a guess.

If you mean OG (Original Gravity) before fermenting, I have done this kit twice with the recommended 1.2kg Light Malt Extract, but only to 21 litres not 23 and the OG both times came out as 1.053

Just finished a year old bottle. Still the business. Just added the hops that came with it and no enhancer. Wish I'd bought more....

Tried my first bottle of Mangrove Jack's Pink Grapefruit IPA on Friday night. First, the details;

Kit started on 14th March. Used the MJ 1.2kg Beer Kit Enhancer. Water was Tesco Ashbeck bottled mineral water - brewed to 23L. Put into the brew fridge at 20°C.
Hops added on 25th March.
Bottled on 29th March, using one carbonation drop per 500ml bottle (only used these as I got them as part of a bundled deal with the kit). Secondary fermentation at 20°C.
12th April, fridge switched to cold.
26th April, bottles moved to the shed.
Friday 5th June - opened the first bottle.

Wow! This is beautiful! There's a slight home brew smell, but to be honest, I've had that with every kit I've ever done. The most important thing is that there's no twang at all in the taste.

Nice and clear, perfect carbonation, lovely colour with a good head. Really nice mouthfeel - very smooth, with a subtle, but very definite, hint of grapefruit, followed by a really nice bitter finish. It really is Elvis Juice in a kit. To date, the best kits I've done have been Young's American IPA and Beerworks President's Sierra Pale Ale, but this is easily right up there with those. I was hoping for good things based on other reviews, but this has surpassed my expectations. My acid test is always 'If I was given this in a pub, would I be happy with it"? I' d be delighted. It's a cracking pint.

I have MJ Juicy Session IPA in the brew fridge now, so am really hoping for similar results from that. I will definitely do the Pink Grapefruit again - it's honestly just too good not to.

Attachments

• 20200605_182755.jpg
    20200605_182755.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
I’ve been drinking my Pink Grapefruit IPA for around 4 weeks now. It’s a cracking pint but I’ve noticed something odd, which is that on the nights I drink it, I get terrible wind (yes, I know it’s beer, but this is worse than normal) and mild stomach cramps in the night and morning. It’s definitely the beer. So either there’s something in there that’s giving an allergic reaction, or could it be the StarSan? I used it as normal so I don’t see how, but it’s odd - I’ve never had a problem with any beer before (unless I’ve had more than 10 pints, of course).

I’ve been drinking my Pink Grapefruit IPA for around 4 weeks now. It’s a cracking pint but I’ve noticed something odd, which is that on the nights I drink it, I get terrible wind (yes, I know it’s beer, but this is worse than normal) and mild stomach cramps in the night and morning. It’s definitely the beer. So either there’s something in there that’s giving an allergic reaction, or could it be the StarSan? I used it as normal so I don’t see how, but it’s odd - I’ve never had a problem with any beer before (unless I’ve had more than 10 pints, of course).
I've noticed some brews will make me extremely toxic lol some no bother at all

just put my pink grapefruit on today, cant wait to try it. how did your juicy ipa end up? mine was amazing, been drinking it for 2.5 weeks after only being in the keg for 10 days, was amazing (nearly finished!). first brew I've done that had no hint of the homebrew smell or taste, so pleased with it. might need to become a rolling brew in the keezer!

I brewed this and it was horrendous. Ended up throwing most of the keg down the toilet.

I did something wrong making it as I’ve seen everyone else’s reviews saying how nice it is. Mine had a sickly sweet taste to it (oxidation??) and a horrendous homebrew taste to it that didn’t go away, even after a few weeks in the keg 🙁

brewed it with 1kg spraymalt and the M44 yeast. Only change was I added an extra 50g of Amarillo to the dry hop.

A bit gutted as i had high hopes for it

One of my favourite brews, my "go to" kit really!

Only thing I have found is i have a gushing problem!!! :cool:
Always been brewed in my grainfather conical fermenter so sealed well and left for plenty of time so I'm happy it had reached its final gravity...bottled in glass flip top bottles using one carbonation drop but still difficult to pour due to gushing!!
Annoying due to wanting to show this beer off to friends but a little embarrassing when its spills everywhere!!!

I am pretty new to homebrewing and this was the 5th of my brews so far. I started this kit on the 31/01/21, I used light DME and the Kit Yeast US West coast M44. I added hops on the 11th of February and 3 days later bottled the brew with an FG of 1.004 giving an ABV of 5.25%. After 2 weeks of secondary fermentation and carbonation I moved the beer to my garage on the 27th of February. I had a couple of bottles last Saturday night. I was saving it until May, but there was no beer in the fridge. I honestly think that this is the nicest beer I have ever tasted. I was blown away, the carbonation was spot on, and the pint glass looked like something served in a very posh craft beer bar, beautiful clear and vibrant colour with a perfect head just like in the picture above from @GhostShip , I will definitely do this kit again. I have a juicy session IPA in an FV at the moment which I am also looking forward to. I am going to save the rest of this batch of Pink Grapefruit IPA and enjoy it in the middle of May over a few BBQ's. I can't wait, it is going to be very hard keeping my filthy mitts off it.

I am pretty new to homebrewing and this was the 5th of my brews so far. I started this kit on the 31/01/21, I used light DME and the Kit Yeast US West coast M44. I added hops on the 11th of February and 3 days later bottled the brew with an FG of 1.004 giving an ABV of 5.25%. After 2 weeks of secondary fermentation and carbonation I moved the beer to my garage on the 27th of February. I had a couple of bottles last Saturday night. I was saving it until May, but there was no beer in the fridge. I honestly think that this is the nicest beer I have ever tasted. I was blown away, the carbonation was spot on, and the pint glass looked like something served in a very posh craft beer bar, beautiful clear and vibrant colour with a perfect head just like in the picture above from @GhostShip , I will definitely do this kit again. I have a juicy session IPA in an FV at the moment which I am also looking forward to. I am going to save the rest of this batch of Pink Grapefruit IPA and enjoy it in the middle of May over a few BBQ's. I can't wait, it is going to be very hard keeping my filthy mitts off it.

Glad it turned out so well. I liked it so much that I've done it again and it's currently in the shed conditioning. Will be ready to try very soon and I'll post the results on here.

The Juicy Session is also a great kit!

My second attempt at MJ Pink Grapefruit IPA. My first (review posted in this thread) was a huge success, but I just felt it needed a bit more grapefruit flavour.

Kit started - 21st February. Used 1kg of light malt extract, and Tesco Ashbeck Mineral Water. Added 1 litre of Tesco Pink Grapefruit Juice. Brew fridge set at 20.5ºC.
Hops added - 6th March.
Bottled (with one sugar stick per bottle - mix of white and brown) - 9th March. Brew fridge set at 20.5ºC.
Moved to outside shed - 23rd March.
First pint - 30th April.

There were two differences between this brew and the first one. First I used DME rather than LME, and secondly, in order to try and up the grapefruit a touch, I added 1 litre of Tesco Pink Grapefruit Juice (with bits, so I strained it through a piece of muslin into the FV).

I really like Elvis Juice, but whenever I have it, I'll only have a couple because for my tastes, the grapefruit is a bit too strong. What I was looking for was a bit more grapefruit flavour from the first time I did the kit, but not quite as much as Elvis Juice.

Complete success! This is gorgeous. Almost certainly the best brew I've ever done. Beautiful colour, nice head and perfect carbonation. It's very smooth, with a really nice grapefruit flavour and a perfect bitterness at the end. Like everything in life, it's all down to personal taste, but for my palate, this is better than Elvis Juice. There, I said it, it's better than Elvis Juice. Using DME in place of LME has made no difference to the quality of the beer, in fact it may have improved it. There's absolutely no twang of any kind. I will definitely do this again and I'll do it to the exact same recipe. I love trying new kits but the way I feel right now I might just brew this for the rest of my life! I have a mate who likes EJ, so will invite him round for a pint in the garden and see what sort of reaction I get.

PinkGrapefruitIPA.jpg

My second attempt at MJ Pink Grapefruit IPA. My first (review posted in this thread) was a huge success, but I just felt it needed a bit more grapefruit flavour.

Kit started - 21st February. Used 1kg of light malt extract, and Tesco Ashbeck Mineral Water. Added 1 litre of Tesco Pink Grapefruit Juice. Brew fridge set at 20.5ºC.
Hops added - 6th March.
Bottled (with one sugar stick per bottle - mix of white and brown) - 9th March. Brew fridge set at 20.5ºC.
Moved to outside shed - 23rd March.
First pint - 30th April.

There were two differences between this brew and the first one. First I used DME rather than LME, and secondly, in order to try and up the grapefruit a touch, I added 1 litre of Tesco Pink Grapefruit Juice (with bits, so I strained it through a piece of muslin into the FV).

I really like Elvis Juice, but whenever I have it, I'll only have a couple because for my tastes, the grapefruit is a bit too strong. What I was looking for was a bit more grapefruit flavour from the first time I did the kit, but not quite as much as Elvis Juice.

Complete success! This is gorgeous. Almost certainly the best brew I've ever done. Beautiful colour, nice head and perfect carbonation. It's very smooth, with a really nice grapefruit flavour and a perfect bitterness at the end. Like everything in life, it's all down to personal taste, but for my palate, this is better than Elvis Juice. There, I said it, it's better than Elvis Juice. Using DME in place of LME has made no difference to the quality of the beer, in fact it may have improved it. There's absolutely no twang of any kind. I will definitely do this again and I'll do it to the exact same recipe. I love trying new kits but the way I feel right now I might just brew this for the rest of my life! I have a mate who likes EJ, so will invite him round for a pint in the garden and see what sort of reaction I get.

View attachment 46296
Excellent. That was a great idea adding the extra pink grapefruit juice. I adore this Kit. I’m holding off drinking it for another 2 weeks. But so far the few I had were amazing and the best beer I have ever tasted. I’m going to celebrate my birthday in 2 weeks with Pink Grapefruit IPA. And I am going to order another couple of kits this weekend. Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA will be one of them and I will follow your recipe. Thanks for the great review and enjoy your brew.
Damien

Excellent. That was a great idea adding the extra pink grapefruit juice. I adore this Kit. I’m holding off drinking it for another 2 weeks. But so far the few I had were amazing and the best beer I have ever tasted. I’m going to celebrate my birthday in 2 weeks with Pink Grapefruit IPA. And I am going to order another couple of kits this weekend. Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA will be one of them and I will follow your recipe. Thanks for the great review and enjoy your brew.
Damien

Thanks mate. I can’t think of a better way, given the current restrictions, of celebrating your birthday than with MJ Pink Grapefruit IPA! If you do follow my recipe, I think you can get pink grapefruit juice without the bits (I think Tesco do one but it was out of stock when I visited). It’s no big deal but just saves the hassle of straining the juice Into the FV. Sounds like your current brew is a cracking pint as well - well done on having the patience to wait (I do think it helps the beer), and enjoy it!

Back