Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, as I’ve now got enough empty bottles from drinking my Muntons Imperial Cream Stout, my next kit is probably going to be the Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA; from reading the various reviews, it sounds good.

The only question I have about it is do I add 1kg of brewing sugar or do I add 1.2kg of liquid malt extract? As I’ve not done this kit before, I’d welcome suggestions and in particular, does the additional cost of the malt extract make a while lot of difference to the finished article, or will the brewing sugar do the same job? I’d also be interested to learn of anything else that members may have added.

Thanks,

Gaz

Thank you. I’ve read a little more on it now, and the LME would appear to enhance the brew.
My apologies for such a short and abrupt reply, I was just getting on a plane!
The MJ pouches of LME are such a bargain I have a shelf full of them.
Regarding the pink grapefruit I'm sure someone on here also added a carton of grapefruit juice to the FV too.
I added a litre of mango juice to an all grain IPA and it worked a treat.

Its not a problem, I appreciated your advice. I’ve ordered both the IPA and the LME.

My apologies for such a short and abrupt reply, I was just getting on a plane!
The MJ pouches of LME are such a bargain I have a shelf full of them.
Regarding the pink grapefruit I'm sure someone on here also added a carton of grapefruit juice to the FV too.
I added a litre of mango juice to an all grain IPA and it worked a treat.

I’ve done this kit twice. It was absolutely superb and of the 13 kits I’ve done so far it is in the top 2, and will be going on again in the New Year. I added 1 litre of Pink Grapefruit Juice to my second attempt. It increased the ABV slightly, not sure if it improves the taste. It really is a great kit and turned out nicer than Brewdog Elvis Juice.

Thank you. I hadn’t thought about adding pink grapefruit juice to the brew. It’s already bubbling away now, so if (when) I do it again, I may try that. Can I assume you used pure juice and not the stuff from concentrate with different additives?

Thank you. I hadn’t thought about adding pink grapefruit juice to the brew. It’s already bubbling away now, so if (when) I do it again, I may try that. Can I assume you used pure juice and not the stuff from concentrate with different additives?
It was a 1 litre carton of Pure Pink Grapefruit Juice I purchased in Tesco’s with the bits. I used a strainer to remove the bits of pulp first and added it along with the water to make up the 23 litres. It was well diluted I’m sure. It’s a really really nice brew. You’ll love it.

I would like to do an all grain version of a grapefruit IPA so how much pink grapefruit juice and when do I add to a 10 litres batch, thanks.

have done the kit myself twice myself now and on both occasions have zested three medium grapefruits ( after giving them a good scrubbing to get any wax off ) then adding them with ten minutes left of the boil and then then the zest of a couple grapefruits and a large orange put in a hop bag with any dry hops after fermentation is totally finished ( but you must put the zest in a dish or bowl of some sort, I use a Tupperware tub with lid, and cover the zest with vodka to sterilise and let stand in the fridge for a couple of days before ) then let infuse In the fermenter for a few days , remove bag and bottle or keg as usual, really comes through gorgeous citrus flavours, always worked for me 👍🍻

have done the kit myself twice myself now and on both occasions have zested three medium grapefruits ( after giving them a good scrubbing to get any wax off ) then adding them with ten minutes left of the boil and then then the zest of a couple grapefruits and a large orange put in a hop bag with any dry hops after fermentation is totally finished ( but you must put the zest in a dish or bowl of some sort, I use a Tupperware tub with lid, and cover the zest with vodka to sterilise and let stand in the fridge for a couple of days before ) then let infuse In the fermenter for a few days , remove bag and bottle or keg as usual, really comes through gorgeous citrus flavours, always worked for me 👍🍻
Do you boil the kit or just water?

Inquiring minds want to know, this is the first I have heard of boiling a kit like this and am most curious!!

I like the idea of boiling up the water with some citrus peel, that's a grate (sorry) idea!

Just water mate 3 litres of and then add extract to melt and rinse bag out; forgot to mention on the second batch of zest just chuck the lot in, vodka and all and leave in fermenter for a few days with any dry hop additions ( I use hop bag for all this ) then take bag out and bottle or keg as per your own routine

Just water mate 3 litres of and then add extract to melt and rinse bag out; forgot to mention on the second batch of zest just chuck the lot in, vodka and all and leave in fermenter for a few days with any dry hop additions ( I use hop bag for all this ) then take bag out and bottle or keg as per your own routine
Great idea.
Love a bit of kit pimping!

Can make the difference between a good beer into a gr beer , your the head brewer in your place, go for it 🍻
Just one more thing I for got to mention which is very important, when zesting yours fruits only get the outer zest and definitely no white pith as this will make the whole lot very very bitter.🥴

Latest posts

Back