Mangrove jacks Red IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked the hydrometer in room temp water. Its reading 0.996. So it's out somewhat. Do I just adjust up?
Yep. also in future don't know how you clean your hydrometer but clean it in warm water not hot, the glue on the label gets melted and slips.

Yep. also in future don't know how you clean your hydrometer but clean it in warm water not hot, the glue on the label gets melted and slips.
Looks like it's not a label it's almost printed on it. It's a coopers one that came with their brewing kit

AHH..... is it a plastic one? I had one about .........years ago but no internet then to advise how to test etc

AHH..... is it a plastic one? I had one about .........years ago but no internet then to advise how to test etc
Ye it's a plastic one. But it should still read 1000 in water so something must be wrong with it....... need to get one asap.

Your hydrometer needs to be corrected by +0.004. So if it reads 1. 010 the actual is 1.014.
In your case your corrected reading of 1.004, and falling, is extremely low for a beer.
And a corrected OG of 1.047 and your current SG of 1.004 suggests an attenuation of 91% which is very high
So you either have an infection, you aren't reading it properly.
Something is not quite right

Ok
Your hydrometer needs to be corrected by +0.004. So if it reads 1. 010 the actual is 1.014.
In your case your corrected reading of 1.004, and falling, is extremely low for a beer.
And a corrected OG of 1.047 and your current SG of 1.004 suggests an attenuation of 91% which is very high
So you either have an infection, you aren't reading it properly.
Something is not quite right
Ok thanks for the tip, how can I tell if I have an infection? No weird smells I can sense, looks fine. What should be my next course of action?

Very low SGs can be a sign of an infection i.e. your beer may have succumbed to wild yeast 'invaders' perhaps. As far as I am concerned I don't think I have ever had any, and it is a rare occurrence, although others on here occasionally report one, and can perhaps advise. All you can do is to keep taking the SG. I suppose the lower it goes the more likely an infection.

So if
Very low SGs can be a sign of an infection i.e. your beer may have succumbed to wild yeast 'invaders' perhaps. As far as I am concerned I don't think I have ever had any, and it is a rare occurrence, although others on here occasionally report one, and can perhaps advise. All you can do is to keep taking the SG. I suppose the lower it goes the more likely an infection.
Ok cool so if it levels off hopefully tomorrow or the next day I should be ok? It has definitely slowed right down over the last week since dry hops added.

After much worrying. The new hydrometer arrived and gave me the answer I was hoping... the old one was ***** 🤣🤣🤣.
New reading was stable for a couple of days around the 1007 at 1c. All smells great as well.
Racked into my new kegs tonight and got the 19lt full and 3 bottles for good measure. I pressurised the keg to 30psi and I'll leave it 24 hours then check the carbonation level. Does that sound about right.
I noticed when sanitizing the lines the it was coming out very slow. It came with 3/16 line in the kit I bought but said you may need to cut them back. What sort of length does everyone end up using? I want a quick pint but of beer not foam! Cheers guys my first keg trip seems to gave been a success.

It came with 3/16 line in the kit I bought but said you may need to cut them back.
Hi @Keenbutcher the 3/16 line I believe is the correct line for non foamy beer, they usually come in 3 meter length but you can cut to what suits your setup, but don't go cutting it on my sayso as I only kegged my first beer yesterday but have done quite a lot of research (online) before I bought the keg etc.

Hi @Keenbutcher the 3/16 line I believe is the correct line for non foamy beer, they usually come in 3 meter length but you can cut to what suits your setup, but don't go cutting it on my sayso as I only kegged my first beer yesterday but have done quite a lot of research (online) before I bought the keg etc.
Ye it does say that you can cut it. Start off in 30cm lengths till you get the desired amount. Have you cut your line yet???

I got the tap that just connects straight to the corny, so no line but I will be looking to change that when my new tall fridge arrives next Monday and the kegerator build starts.

I got the tap that just connects straight to the corny, so no line but I will be looking to change that when my new tall fridge arrives next Monday and the kegerator build starts.
Nice got my larder fridge off ebay this week for £30 and made it today!

20200506_170119.jpg

I think we bought the same keg kit, mine came with the anti foam 3/16 beer line and like you was pouring great pints but really slow, I read the instructions and it says probably less than 1.5m would be ok but as others have said it advised to chop at 30 to 50 tries, I went straight for the jugular and cut mine in half and its far better, still needs a slight trim but just going to put a wooden shelf in mine as not sure the glass would stand 2 x 19l kegs, but just added another 3 kegs and they are taller than the ones I got in the kit from Brekegtap that are 19l, so I think my new ones may be 23l, so will measure when my new measuring jug turns up, the mad thing is for recon kegs a pack of 3 was £155, being a tight ****, I bought the none recon kit 3 for £120 and bought new seal kits for £1.50 but they were fine never needed the new seal kits so if you add to your keg collection may save your self a few quid?

Latest posts

Back