Mangrove m36 liberty bell reviews?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Evening beer folk

Anyone had good results with this one?
Cant see much online about it apart from one yourube vid where a guy shows the krausen (which looks promising) and thats about it. No prt 2 saying how the beer turned out.

So if anyones tried it'., feel free to comment as ive just pitched this yeast in an APA beer

I'm doing my last ever kit tomorrow, which will be a Coopers Devils Half Kit modified with a mini mash into an old ale. I'm going to use the liberty bell yeast on this one after recommendations on here. Two packs if my efficiency has improved and it looks like hitting a high OG!

I dont think so, because it used to be called 'Burton Union' before MJ renamed/rebranded a number of its yeasts

I suspect they may be one and the same, or at least derived from the same source. There's some interesting snippets in this piece from the late, great Michael Jackson.

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000067.html

If so, it is possibly the same as WY1272 WLP051

Great article.
Doesnt appear the brewery is still running? Shame if this is the case.
Anchor is definitely still going (not sure if it’s the same premises though) One of the best known “craft” breweries in America aren’t they? Home to my favourite beer too.

Anchor is definitely still going (not sure if it’s the same premises though) One of the best known “craft” breweries in America aren’t they? Home to my favourite beer too.
Yea i typed in fulham after the brewery but nothing materilsed. But glad to hear theyre alive and well

Wow. Left this beer at room temp. This morn the temp was 21.5 to 23.5 nine half hours later. Very active.
Ive managed to get it down a degree by opening a window but think i should just leave it be now. Sudden changes n all ..
Smells amazing from the airlock. This yeast certainly isnt part of the renouned slow to start mangrove yeasts IMO

It's an excellent yeast. Fast to get going and very vigorous, usually done within 3 days. Gives a nice malty flavour, without overly muting hops too much. I've used it on 2 golden ales and an ordinary bitter so far, and worked well for these. Beer clears beautifully, and the sediment sticks solidly to the bottle. I switched from CML Real Ale yeast to this, as got sick of the funky sour flavour, and terrible sediment problems, I got with the CML RA.

It's an excellent yeast. Fast to get going and very vigorous, usually done within 3 days. Gives a nice malty flavour, without overly muting hops too much. I've used it on 2 golden ales and an ordinary bitter so far, and worked well for these. Beer clears beautifully, and the sediment sticks solidly to the bottle. I switched from CML Real Ale yeast to this, as got sick of the funky sour flavour, and terrible sediment problems, I got with the CML RA.
Woaw, prob the first to diss CML lol
This might explain a few of my below par brews. But i reckon its the **** water in my region

Woaw, prob the first to diss CML lol
This might explain a few of my below par brews. But i reckon its the **** water in my region

I may cop flack for it yet too. lol Every beer I made with the CML RA yeast though had a funky flavour, almost like it wanted to be a Belgian beer, and the sediment in the bottles just didn't want to stay put.

The Saison De Lille under attenuates, again Mangrove Jack's saison yeast did a much better job.

The US pale yeast is a good one, apart from cloudy beer but odds are that was from all the hops. Still had a tangy sour flavour in the beer though. Still one I'd use though.

The kristaweizzen yeast was a winner though, made a lovely wheat beer with it. Nice hint of banana, cleared like an ale. The banana hints took 2 weeks in the bottle to come through.

So yeah, underwhelmed with the CML yeasts. I don't have temperature control though, which could be part of the problem. Some yeasts produce esters that aren't so wanted without temp control it seems. So I won't say they're bad yeasts, I'll just say they are unsuited for my use.

My ale that I'm brewing with MJ's Liberty Bell yeast has really taken off ~ massive krausen, airlock going crazy, started after about 6 hours, and after 24 hours is really going strong. Smells amazing. Fruity malty is the only way I can describe the smells coming out of the airlock (plus the CO2 sting, of course!)

My ale that I'm brewing with MJ's Liberty Bell yeast has really taken off ~ massive krausen, airlock going crazy, started after about 6 hours, and after 24 hours is really going strong. Smells amazing. Fruity malty is the only way I can describe the smells coming out of the airlock (plus the CO2 sting, of course!)

Yup, tis delicious. I put a vid on YouTube of the activity from the blow off tube, might be on my brew day thread of anybody is interested.

Not three days since I pitched some of this it's taken a 1.052 beer to 1.010 and it's crystal clear and tastes amazing - genuinely I could drink it right now, though I went for 27 IBUs and would like more bitterness. It's sort of like Tanglefoot. It doesn't taste remotely green.

I did an experiment with hydrating 1g of the yeast and making a 1 litre starter with it just to see the effect. On the second day the starter was like a snowglobe and the yeast settled within minutes of turning it off and that's what I used.

M36 has become my regular 'go to' yeast for golden ales and bitters. Seems to have a short lag time, vigorous ferment and drops like a stone when done. The yeast cake from this yeast is very firm and compact. And, most importantly it produces great tasting beer!

I'm thinking of using MJ Liberty Bell as a substitute for Fuller's ESB (or its Wyeast or Whitelabs derivatives) in Hughe's recipe for Cornish Tin miners Ale.
Never used it before, but haven't got anything close to ESB in my fridge at the moment.
Is this likely to be a good choice, do you think?

Back