Manngold's brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangold

Reaction score
Hi all.

Determined to get a brew in today and I managed it.

22l of Dennis Kings award winning Galaxy Delight. I have brewed this particular beer about 4 or 5 times, for me and others, and think it is a great brew.

The recipe can be found on the Malt Miller.

Did things a bit differently today with my brew day. Due to the rain I had no cooling facilities so am waiting for it to come down to a reasonable temp. I also mashed for 30 mins at 62, 45 mins at 66 and 15 mins at 68. Not sure if it will impact the beer or malt profile that much but thought it would be fun. I also decided to not dry hop and did a steep at the end for 25 mins at about 80c with 50 grams of galaxy.

Starting og is 1050 which is bang on the recipe. Edit, was actually 1051 after it had cooled properly.

That is my second brew of the year so far. I have doubled what I managed in 2019!

Already planning the next brew...

Last edited:
Had a bit of a nightmare with this. My tube heater broke, I would assume before I put the fermenter in the fridge. Didn't realise until three days in. I have changed the tube heater today, so hopefully it will be ok.

Update.

Kegged yesterday. FG was 1011. Which means about 5.2%. Stronger than I would have ideally liked but still tastes ok.

2nd day locked away. I am a teacher and whilst I thought I would have alot to do, I don't really at the moment.

So, brew day number three for the year.

Twisted Stout by Rob over at the malt miller.

5.2kg of grain. Five sit types of grain.
100g of bramling cross. I have never used this, will I get a taste for it in a stout or will the malts hide it.

Mashed at 67.

Nice sleek black brew into the fv after boiling for 90 minutes with a 60g addition at 90 minutes and a 40g addition in the last five.

Og is 1047, the recipe calculator said I should of got 1049, but it was close enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20200324_124932.jpg
    IMG_20200324_124932.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 97
Forgot to update this. It ended at 1012. So I guess about 5%. Tastes ok, lots of roasted goodness coming through.

Double post.

Brewed a single hop pale today. Used Greg Hughes base malt selection. So it was 4.7 kg pale malt, 250g carapils.

I used El Dorado. I didn't have the AA% of the hops but had heard that it is high. So I went with the following:
60 min addition of 15g
15 min addition of 35g
5 min addition of 50g
Flame out of 50g

Gravity is between 1046 and 1045

Using Voss for the first time, pitched at 35c.

Let's see what happens.

Back