Many Questions. :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
Months and months ago I asked about making a GOOD red as that seems unlikely unless I buy a very expensive kit I'm now considering country wines and WOW's.

I have CJ Berrys book but based on the posts I have read here it seems dated so I have questions.

• 1, Is there a full "how to" available?
    2, My fermenters have taps I assume that if I add a tube to the tap I don't need to siphon.
    3, I have a couple of 5 litre demijohns so I'll start small but eventually I'd like to use my Speidel frementers one 30 litre and one 20 litre but what is the smallest amount of wine I could make in them?
    4, Should I set up to to do closed transfers as I might for a very hop forward IPA?
    5, How long would I have to dedicate my fermentation fridge to a wine fermentation? I need it for beer.
    6, Airlockes - I hate them when I've used them in the past I have inevitably forgotten about then and they have dried out. Is there an alternative to them?
    7, What happens if I don't de-gas the wine?
    8, Is it worth building up a starter as I sometimes do for beer?
Finally would you care to recommend a recipe?

Thanks All. Aamcle

1, Is there a full "how to" available?

How to make Supermarket Juice Wine - HERE.

2, My fermenters have taps I assume that if I add a tube to the tap I don't need to siphon.

The best thing i ever bought as i hate bottling.

3, I have a couple of 5 litre demijohns so I'll start small but eventually I'd like to use my Speidel frementers one 30 litre and one 20 litre but what is the smallest amount of wine I could make in them?
As little as you want, headspace only becomes a negative when you are storing/ageing wine.

5, How long would I have to dedicate my fermentation fridge to a wine fermentation? I need it for beer.

I don't have a FF and i have never lost a wine due to temperature fluctuation, my house gets to mid 20c summer and as low as 15c in winter.

6, Airlockes - I hate them when I've used them in the past I have inevitably forgotten about then and they have dried out. Is there an alternative to them?

I recently bought a Youngs super major airlock its much bigger than a standard one and it doesn't empty, if you really don't want to use one simply leave the lid loose on the FV (if it doesn't have a hole)

My review here - Youngs Super Major Airlock.

1597422585630.png

7, What happens if I don't de-gas the wine?

It'll take ages to clear but will not be anything like a sparkling wine as some assume.

8, Is it worth building up a starter as I sometimes do for beer?

No point i havce never had one start slow or finish early give youngs super wine yeast compound a try.

Finally would you care to recommend a recipe?

A forum favourite definitely worth a try -

Rosé wine

1 litre Red grape juice.

1.5 litre Apple Juice.

750g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg

5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back