Maple Syrup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braindead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewing on Tuesday and built a new recipe, I want a nice maple taste but been reading conflicting things.
Some people say adding pure maple syrup just adds no flavour and others say add the Lorann oils.
Any tips or ideas from anyone thats brewed with it.
Thx

If you end up using syrup then Aldi’s maple syrup is a nice flavour on waffles so should be ok if you think it’d work in a brew.

If you want to acquire the taste, it should be a very late addition.
I would rack to secondary and then add it. And wait another week or so until fermenting halted.

OR you could use it as bottling primer? Dissolve it in a bit of water (do the sugar calculations of course), add to brew, and bottle.

There are a few ways to approach this. Natural, artificial or a mixture. If you are going all natural then you either must accept a low amount of flavour to prevent the abv climbing too high assuming complete fermentation or you are going to have to work to prevent complete fermentation, ditching as much yeast as possible, stabilising and force carbonating and/or kegging and keeping cold etc. Risky stuff.

It isn't very strongly flavoured and at 68% sugar 1L will add almost 13 points to a 20L batch. 1L in 20L equates to 25ml per 500ml which is not a large amount depending on the desired intensity of flavour. You could trial it to find the point where you get the flavour you want and then work out how much you are trying to avoid fermenting. Bottle priming with it is a bit every little helps as you'll want only 129.2ml to give 2 points on 20L which is what? 3ml and some change per bottle? Good luck tasting that. I prime cask with 2 points, bottles certainly require a touch less, certainly no more.

Personally I'd use natural while hoping for the best for the sales team and then artificial to actually flavour. If I was committed to all natural I'd probably stabilise the beer, dose to taste, force carbonate and then package. Home brew I have the option of cold crashing, fining in secondary, packaging with the syrup and then putting the keg on at 0-1C to prevent much additional fermentation.

Back when I used to make mead the only meads I made which tasted strongly like sweet honey were the ones where I used so much honey through successive 'feeds' it would stop fermenting. When fermentation was allowed to complete I usually got a quite dry honey wine which did not taste much like honey.

Out of curiosity I purchased a bottle of Capella Maple pancake flavour drops.
Holy ****, its smaller and tastes so intense like Grade 2 Maple. Only sampled 1 dot on my finger and could taste it 12 hrs later.
Very concentrated, its a toss up between this and Aldis Maple

Out of curiosity I purchased a bottle of Capella Maple pancake flavour drops.
Holy ****, its smaller and tastes so intense like Grade 2 Maple. Only sampled 1 dot on my finger and could taste it 12 hrs later.
Very concentrated, its a toss up between this and Aldis Maple

If it’s the flavour you want I would use the drops, won’t affect gravity and priming calculations then. Looking forward to seeing how this one goes, maple is one of my favourite flavours and would be incredible in a winter warmer!

Well OG came out at 1.115
Its going to be a rum barrel aged maple glazed macaroon imperial stout.
I usually find wort samples a bit meh, this was the first sample I thought, yeah....

Latest posts

Back