March 2021 Comp - Freestyle!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres the recipe for anyone who wants it. It was supposed to be a one off to use up my lactose, even I'm surprised at how well it turned out. Anyway...

Blueberry Milkshake IPA (makes 10l):
O.G 1.070
F.G 1.020

1.4kg extra pale malt
300g Wheat malt
300g Oats
350g Lactose added to the boil
50g Flour added to the boil
1.5kg Frozen Blueberries added to FV after 1 week of fermenting

20g Mosaic added @ 5 mins
10g Citra @ 5 mins
15g Mosaic 30 min hopstand at 80°C
10g Citra 30 min hopstand
30g Galaxy 6 day dry hop
15g Mosaic 6 days
15g Citra 6 days
15g Galaxy 4 days
15g Citra 4 days

London 3 yeast

For the blueberries I defrosted and mashed them before adding a campden tablet to kill any nasties and left it to sit overnight before pouring the lot into the fermenter after 1 week of fermentation. After another week I racked it to a secondary vessel onto the first lot of dry hops.

Well done @Mrhandsome on the win and @chrisb8 and @Tanglefoot.

big thanks to @pilgrimhudd for the time and effort and thanks for the feedback.

I’m very pleased and surprised to be placed, even though I entered 3 to help the odds!

Just disappointed I don’t have any of the altbier left!

Do I get a bronze medal/rosette/riband to incorporate on my masking tape labels?

Well done 👍 @Mrhandsome @stubrewworx and @chrisb8 !

Thanks @pilgrimhudd for the well written and informative feedback and taking time out to do the judging.

Well chuffed with 2nd place ! :groupdancing:goes to show what can be done with simple ingredients and an uncomplicated set up.

I really enjoy the process of making my own beers. Drank a couple of Punk IPA's last night (staying away from home) and in comparison they just taste insipid, the difference between fresh homebrew and
most mass produced stuff is night and day.
Power to the homebrewers :smallcheers: !

Thought I would post the recipe for my NEIPA for those who are interested.

Zappa NEIPA
New England IPA

6.4% / 14.5 °P
All Grain

Batch Volume: 19 L
Boil Time: 40 min

Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU (Tinseth): 29
Colour: 8.1 EBC

Mash
Temperature — 67 °C — overnight

Malts (4.7 kg)
3 kg (63.8%) — Bairds Pale Ale Malt
500 g (10.6%) — Crisp Finest Maris Otter
500 g (10.6%) — Oats, Flaked
250 g (5.3%) — Carapils
250 g (5.3%) — Wheat Malt
200 g (4.3%) — Torrefied Wheat

Hops (305 g)
1 g (1 IBU) — Magnum 12% — First Wort

4 g (5 IBU) — Magnum 12% — Boil — 40 min

10 g (3 IBU) — Zappa 8% — Boil — 5 min

40 g (6 IBU) — Zappa 8% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand 80 °C

30 g (7 IBU) — Citra 12% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand 80 °C

30 g (7 IBU) — Mosaic 12.25% — Aroma — 30 min hopstand 80 °C

23 g — Citra 12% — Dry Hop — day 3

23 g — Mosaic 12.25% — Dry Hop — day 3

18 g — Zappa 8% — Dry Hop — day 3

47 g — Citra 12% — Dry Hop — day 6

47 g — Mosaic 12.25% — Dry Hop — day 6

32 g — Zappa 8% — Dry Hop — day 6

Yeast - WPL Brexit

Attached is my recipe. Loosely based on the the Greg hughes dusseldorf altbier. Mine is darker, can't remember why if intentional Purposefully weaker, i wanted sub 5%. IBU also lower as i no chill and i assumed i was getting more bitterness. I subbed Thames valley yeast for Windsor, as the name made logical sense!

I'm sure i mashed much lower than 66c as my thermometer is way out and i only learnt after this brew. But the windsor yeast kinda helped this.

The water treatment probably isnt correct as at this stage i didnt account for so/cl increases from crs additions.

Attachments

• Brewfather_Duss_20210418.pdf
    113.6 KB · Views: 83
Here's the notes for anyone who's interested:

Mr Handsome Blueberry Milkshake IPA Score 43/50

Aroma 10/12 ‘Amazing’ one of my mates said, fruity, the blueberry really came through and it had some spiciness too.

Appearance 3/3 Hazy, reddy/purple colour, looks great, good head retention and lacing.

Flavour 18/20 Although I would struggle to pick out blueberry it was really fruity, but balanced with hoppy bitterness and some hop flavours, you can tell it’s a beer with fruit, not a fruit beer I thought.

Mouthfeel 4/5 I felt that it could have done with a touch more fizz but I’m being picky, it had a lovely mouthfeel, medium bodied, almost creamy.

Overall 8/10 I have to admit, I wasn’t really looking forward to this one, but it was bleddy marvellous and definitely surprised us. I’m not sure what I can really add, as the style isn’t one I’m overly clued up on, but I really enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back