March Forum Competition - Freestyle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so not quite the middle of the month yet but only 2 lots of entries received to date; both @Dads_Ale and @Broken Toe are in it to win it so far.

Could everyone be spent after the first two months of the year? Who knows? Hopefully not and I'll have at least a few more beers to judge by the end of the month.

Cheers

Rye beer spiked with elderflower wine. Sounds very interesting. Freestyle for sure!

This was rubbish, or not ready enough! Have a beer made with garden hops that is starting to come in. Happy to send a bottle; PM your address and I will send next week.

Moring all.

As I am sure you are all aware, developments to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has meant that the government has (yesterday) issued new guidance regarding public events and, more pertinent to this post, travel. To my mind eliminating non-essential travel almost certainly includes travel to a post office to send beers to a forum competition.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do but I just wanted to say that I would not expect anyone to travel/expose themselves to risk for the purposes of this competition. I have received two entries so far and I understand at least one or two more are currently in transit. At some point in early April I will go ahead with judging the entries I've received before the end of the month. It will almost certainly be me judging on my own as my intended fellow judges will now no longer be able to travel. With this in mind, it's possibly a godsend if there are fewer entries this month wink...

All the best and stay safe brewers!

Moring all.

As I am sure you are all aware, developments to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has meant that the government has (yesterday) issued new guidance regarding public events and, more pertinent to this post, travel. To my mind eliminating non-essential travel almost certainly includes travel to a post office to send beers to a forum competition.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do but I just wanted to say that I would not expect anyone to travel/expose themselves to risk for the purposes of this competition. I have received two entries so far and I understand at least one or two more are currently in transit. At some point in early April I will go ahead with judging the entries I've received before the end of the month. It will almost certainly be me judging on my own as my intended fellow judges will now no longer be able to travel. With this in mind, it's possibly a godsend if there are fewer entries this month wink...

All the best and stay safe brewers!
You're still happy to receive entries though?

Point taken and appreciate your comments - nevertheless I was still planning to send something in (I have to go to the post office anyway for something else)

You're still happy to receive entries though?

Point taken and appreciate your comments - nevertheless I was still planning to send something in (I have to go to the post office anyway for something else)

Yes - I'm still happy to receive the beers and will judge in early April.

Cheers

I will leave the decision to the members who organise and take part in these competitions, i think it would probably be a good idea to postpone call me paranoid but with the amount of time this virus can live outside the body i would be a little wary about receiving and drinking a bottle of beer sent through the post.

Hi folks. I've had a think based on the discussion on the HBF Competition Schedule thread (see above) and this is something I was already leaning toward. I'm aware of one entry that was sent before the 'lockdown' came into play which is fair enough. However, I am asking that anyone who has not already posted beers (but had planned to do so) please DO NOT send your entry for this month competition. I'm hoping that most people will have already changed their minds about sending entries given developments within the last 24 hours but I felt the need to clarify my position in light of Chippy's comment.

I don't believe it would be responsible to go to a post office to send something none essential given the current situation. I certainly wouldn't be doing it; and would ask that nobody else on the forum does so for the purposes of this month's competition.

I've received 3 entries to date and understand that a 4th is on it's way to me. I still plan to go ahead with judging these beers after they have spent a period of 14 days in quarantine :laugh8:

Cheers

Afternoon all.

So the month of March that will never be forgotten has been and gone. It's a shame that this competition was somewhat impacted by COVID-19 but here we are and it is what it is. This is just a quick post to confirm that I've received a total of 7 entries from 5 participants. List below.

2 from @Hazelwood Brewery
1 from @HalsteadMills
1 from @dave_77
2 from @Dads_Ale
1 from @Broken Toe

Throughout March I had 17 forum members contact me about sending beers. I appreciate that things went totally nuts fairly early doors last month and suspect everyone else will have decided against sending beers in the end - which is totally cool - but if you did send beers and aren't mentioned above by all means drop me a note.

The beers I did receive prior to lockdown all sound/look great and I'm very much looking forward to tasting them. I had originally planned to do the judging on the Easter weekend as, at the outset, I was a) expecting more entries and as a result b) planned to have help. However, I'll now be judging solo which is fine as there are only 7 beers to get though. Additionally, given the styles are all real mix bag I don't see any value in tasting the beers in any sort of 'flight' set up so will likely just amble through them over the course of the next week or so and will probably make a start this weekend. Each will be scored individually and the 1st, 2nd & 3rd places will then, naturally, go to the top three scoring beers. As per the HBF Competition rules, those who have entered more than one beer can only have their highest scoring beer in contention for a placing.

I'm make notes for feedback as I go and once all the beers have been judged I'll post back here with the results then send out the feedback via private message.

Until then, stay safe and COVID free people. Cheers!

This is just a quick post to confirm that I've received a total of 7 entries from 5 participants...The beers I did receive prior to lockdown all sound/look great

I’m sure you’d have liked a few more and to have someone to share your thoughts and impressions with. Not a situation any of us would have wanted but thanks for going ahead with the judging! :hat:

Afternoon people.

Happy to say I finished judging last night and can now announce the winners from this month's little competition. Please see below.

1st place - @Broken Toe - Raspberry Milkshake Sour (Score 41/50)
2nd place - @Dads_Ale - Abbey ale with honey and bourbon oak chips (Score 38/50)
3rd place - @Hazelwood Brewery - Pale ale (Score 32/50)

Congrats to those who made the top three and thanks to all who were able to send beers this month. I really enjoyed the judging process (albeit on a fairly informal basis) and it was great to taste a variety of other folk's home brews.

I'll start writing up feedback for each entry this afternoon and send our by private message.

Cheers

Back