Maris Otter and Munich combo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewdoug

Reaction score
Looking for assistance with an experimental recipe.

I've got 1.3kg Maris Otter left that I want to use up. So I'm thinking of adding a 1kg bag of Munich malt, chucking in a bit of Crystal malt and/or Carapils and doing a 10 to 12 litre brew. As far as I can tell this will give me a sort of Bock style beer except I'm intending to use an ale yeast.

Has anyone got experience with this type of beer, I've never used Munich yet. Hops I'm thinking Magnum and Hallertau Hersbrucker but I'm not sure on quantities, I don't think this beer style should be particularly hoppy. I could replace the Magnum with Northern Brewer, both of which seem to be used in Bocks by Greg Hughes.

I'm also not sure whether to make it a bit darker, I've got Caraffa 2 and Chocolate malt.

Any advice and input would be most welcome.

ive just done a small batch of beer as a tester with MO, Munich and a bit of Torrified wheat. I think depending on what kind of Munich malt it is will differ how much of it should be in our total grain bill. I read this after I made my beer. But I have to say the sample of it I tried last night was quite nice, kind of In the APA spectrum...

ive just done a small batch of beer as a tester with MO, Munich and a bit of Torrified wheat. I think depending on what kind of Munich malt it is will differ how much of it should be in our total grain bill. I read this after I made my beer. But I have to say the sample of it I tried last night was quite nice, kind of In the APA spectrum...

Interesting that you say your beer is IPA LIKE because I thought Munich was supposed to give more of a malty flavour. What percentage of Munich did you use?

The munich made up 66.7 % of the grain bill, Mo 25% and Tor Wheat 8.3%. It's not an IPA kind of taste it's kind of an APA taste. I used Amarillo and Mt hood for hop additions during the boil.

Depending on how dark the Munich is, you could end up with a fairly weak beer. Munich has lower enzymatic potential, especially if it's up towards the higher end of its EBC spectrum. I think it ranges between about 10 and 50 EBC. The lighter stuff could be used as a base malt, but the darker stuff is really to be used like a specialty malt with up to about 25% max.

Depending on how dark the Munich is, you could end up with a fairly weak beer. Munich has lower enzymatic potential, especially if it's up towards the higher end of its EBC spectrum. I think it ranges between about 10 and 50 EBC. The lighter stuff could be used as a base malt, but the darker stuff is really to be used like a specialty malt with up to about 25% max.

Yes looking at a rough recipe formulation in Brewers Friend was thinking I would need to go for 10 litres rather than 12 to get a reasonable strength. I'm not into really strong beers though anyway.

I used 6g of Danstar Munch yeast rehydrated. According to Brewers friend I should finish up around 1013 from my O.G of 1056,giving An ABV of 5.7%. Up until today the beer was looking quite pale. But today it's become quite dark amber. On Saturday I will be racking it into a clean DJ and dry hoping with some more Mt hood. Even with 66% of my grain bill being Munich it's still turned out quite a dark amber, but I'll see how it looks after racking off.

Yup I did exactly that, in a green bullet pale. MO plus Munich, crystal and tw.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57166&highlight=Green+bullet

I loved the malt base though the brew itself went a bit awry as the hops were way past their best. It tasted nice at first but had an odd aftertaste.

Anyway, it was very light (I think the crystal was 30L) and lager like, as per the thread.

I think it's a great base for a hoppy beer, I'm planning a Sorachi ace single hop on it, it will really sut it's lemony hop profile,and Sorachi ace is a lager hop at heart.

Because that base is lager like it should suit hallertau too.

Latest posts

Back