Maris Otter or Planet?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£20.90 for 25kg of MO seems ok to me. It takes me just over an hour to get there from north Manchester so never buy less than 3 sacks. MO not always in stock but happy to mix and match. Speciality malts take longer to get through but sit happily at ambient temperature in my shed/workshop/brewhouse.
The shelf life printed on the bag seems quite good, I will probably source more from them once I know my main movers.

Unless you're already passing, there's surely not much point going all the way to Cheddleton given that most microbreweries will generally be happy to sell you the odd sack of malt, even if they don't officially advertise the fact, you just need to chat them up a bit and don't be awkward. But to take one example nearer you, Beer Nouveau under the railway arches out of Piccadilly are pretty homebrew-friendly.

I didn't actually like Maris Otter when I used it to be honest, just wasn't keen. Was relieved when the 25k sack finally ran out... lol Much preferred the results I got (and get) with generic pale malts (IREKS, Hookhead...) or even Dingemans Pilsen. More rounded flavours, better clarity... Just checked the half a sack of Hookhead in the kitchen in fact (left from over a year ago) and must have stored it right, as smells and tastes great still (chewed a pinch full of it, lovely and malty), so going to have a go at brewing with it again see how the efficiency with it is after all this time. ;)

Staffordshire brewery have lowered their prices so 25kg Planet is £13.30 and MO is £15.90. Plus £5 handling charge.

Unless you're already passing, there's surely not much point going all the way to Cheddleton given that most microbreweries will generally be happy to sell you the odd sack of malt, even if they don't officially advertise the fact, you just need to chat them up a bit and don't be awkward. But to take one example nearer you, Beer Nouveau under the railway arches out of Piccadilly are pretty homebrew-friendly.
Steve was tweeting this morning from his Temperance Street Brewery twitter account that they now supply to homebrewers

http://beernouveau.co.uk/a-community-brew-space/
Also, I've been contacted by The Mounting Stone in Bramhall, saying that they will be stocking homebrew supplies from August.

No prices from either, yet, but a promising development since the demise of Stockport Homebrew Store.

Last edited:
In normal times my job takes me around the country, so swinging by Cheddleton is sometimes only a small detour and a chance to get off the M6. Small craft brewers on Temperance Street are only a stones throw away though, so very interesting.

Latest posts

Back